Chapter 21

Hermione glanced nervously between the two girls standing over her. She regained consciousness a few minutes before and found much of the pain in her chest had disappeared. Astoria happened to be very skilled in healing charms and stopped the blood from seeping out of the small punctures littering her front. Fortunately, they weren't very deep, so there was no immediate threat of internal bleeding. Pansy had spread a cooling potion over the incisions, which had been a relief when Hermione woke. Her jumper was still hanging open, ripped down the center from their haste to heal her. She had thanked the girls profusely and managed all of four words before Pansy held up a hand to silence her.

"What happened." It wasn't so much of a question as a demand. Hermione swallowed, and momentarily reconsidered her decision to come here. What if Pansy was angry with her for ruining their evening or staining the luxurious couch red? She anxiously picked at her nailbeds and looked up at Astoria. The lighter girl seemed less imposing.

"I...it's nothing, I just had a bit of a scuffle with someone at the Burrow. Sorry about this. I can clean up the couch–"

Astoria cut in. "Oh no, love. Pansy's not furious with you." She swatted at her friend with a frown. "Frankly, we're both just incredibly worried about you. Hermione, you showed up at the gates out of nowhere, bleeding of all things. We want to know how this could have happened so we can help you. You said someone did this?" This last sentence lacked the usual warmth Astoria poured into her words. In fact, Hermione shivered at the coldness in the sweet girl's voice. She glanced up at Pansy, whose nostrils flared in irritation. She looked ready to kick something. Or someone.

Alarm dripped down her spine. She never meant for anyone else to be angry or get hurt. She had simply wanted somewhere safe to stay. Hermione backed up as much as she could on the couch and shook her head. "I don't want to tell you."

Pansy stalked over to her and placed her hands on either side of Hermione's shoulders, caging her in. "Who." Hermione glanced at Astoria for assistance, but she only pressed her lips into a thin line and crossed her delicate arms. "Who," Pansy repeated in a growl.

Hermione didn't know why, but still, she did not answer. Of course, she was angry with him for hurting her, but a small part of her also hoped she had imagined it. Surely Ron didn't physically hex her across the room like she was...like she was an adversary. Tears filled her eyes and spilled down her cheeks; she shook her head again and again, mute.

"Salazar, Granger!" Pansy gripped her chin and Hermione met her pleading eyes. "Please, Hermione. Let. Us. Help."

Hermione took a deep breath. "Ron. It was Ron." She rapidly retold the events that led to Ronald's outburst, excluding a few of the more personal and offensive things that were said. Whenever she mentioned what he said about her Slytherin friends, Pansy didn't even look phased. Hermione realized it must be so normal for them to be judged at every turn, always expected to be evil or cruel. The prejudice her friends had to tolerate hurt her heart. When she voiced what Ron had said about her being his, Hermione couldn't stop the sob that choked out of her. She was so angry.

Pansy's eyes widened and she straightened. She turned to Astoria abruptly and they shared a look. Astoria moved over to the couch and grabbed Hermione's hand while Pansy strode out of the room.

"Where is she going?" Hermione whispered. Astoria rubbed comforting circles along her knuckles and sighed. "You'll see," she answered stoically.

Five minutes passed in silence, but the serenity was broken by a crash from another room and the sound of a floo activating. Seconds later, four glowering forms stormed into the receiving room. The boys had come. First, she saw Pansy reenter the room and shuffle to the side, arms crossed. Then came Blaise, his customary grin nowhere to be found. Then came Draco, looking absolutely murderous. His hard grey eyes locked on hers then dipped down to her still-open jumper. At the sight of her damaged torso, his jaw clenched, yet he too stood to the side. She wondered why none of them were approaching her, but her confusion did not last long.