Chapter 4

Hermione groaned in frustration. She had rushed to the Hospital Wing between Herbology and DADA with an idea. She hoped Madam Pomfrey would be available to discuss. Unfortunately, a queue of students was waiting for treatment for what appeared to be a nasty Bat-Bogey hex. Madam was meticulously charming the small flying mammals out of a vomiting third-year's nose. Hermione sighed and pulled one of the waiting students aside to begin the counter-charm.

"Hello, Madam. Rough morning, is it?"

Madam Pomfrey did not look up but humphed in agreement. "Indeed, Miss Granger. Is this by chance the work of Ginny Weasley?"

Hermione chuckled. "No, Madam, I daresay Ginny Weasely has more important things to do than hex a large group of Ravenclaw third-years."

Madam Pomfrey grinned at Hermione. "Perhaps, but is there any chance Miss Weasley taught these young ones the hex without properly explaining the consequences of being hit with it?"

Hermione frowned. Now that did sound a bit like Ginny. Her red-headed friend would have gotten a laugh out of that. Hermione would have to corner her later today to demand answers. She fought a smile as she turned to the next student waiting for treatment.

"Come over here, love. Let's get you fixed up." The young witch shuffled over to Hermione, clutching her nose all the while. Hermione quickly cast the counter-charm and smoothed back the girl's hair. "Why don't you sit down until we're finished treating everyone else? Then I'll walk you to class." The little witch just nodded and sank into a nearby chair. Poor girl. If this was Ginny's fault, she'd be in for a proper scolding indeed.

They worked in silence until the final student was freed from the hex, and Hermione and Madam Pomfrey took a moment to clean up. Hermione cast a quick silencing charm around them for privacy.

"I assume you did not come to the Hospital Wing to help me treat the Bat-Bogey hex, Miss Granger?"

"No, Madam. I actually had an idea regarding our research," Hermione rushed, sweeping her wand in a motion to sterilize the floor. "I was reading a journal last night on the powerful charms Muggle-born Healers have created in America when combining both magic and Muggle medical knowledge. As most witches and wizards know little of Muggle medical practices, they are often hesitant to employ them, and thus the treatment at St Mungo's remains primarily magical. Thus far, the magical healing has been sufficient, but with the creation of these hateful curses during the war, I fear we need more potent healing methods. I realized that so far, we have only researched magical solutions for these curses. Perhaps we should take a Muggle approach as well?"

Madam Pomfrey sucked on her teeth as she whisked a few vials into place. "That is an interesting thought, Miss Granger. We will indeed look into this. Come by my office later tonight." She nodded twice to herself. "Yes...yes, there might be something to that. Well done, Hermione. Now, please return these Ravenclaws to their flying lesson."

"Yes, Madam. Come on, children." Hermione beckoned for the students to follow her out of the Hospital Wing. Once she had deposited the Ravenclaws, Hermione rushed down the corridors. DADA began in a few short minutes, and she hoped to get a word with Ginny before it started.

***

Defence Against the Dark Arts was being held in the Great Hall today. Although Hermione had generally found classes monotonous this term, she was excited for today. Today, the students were dueling.

She rolled her stiff shoulders. Dueling was something Hermione was very skilled at after the past few years, as were many of her classmates. Quite a few of the faces around her had participated in Dumbledore's Army, perfecting hexes over countless hours together. She grinned. This would be entertaining.