"yeah, yeah," she says, laughing off the pain in her arm. "i'm good."

"are you sure?" chris asks, suddenly freaking out. "your entire body weight was pressed onto your elbow. nick's too."

chris glares at his brother while nick just scratches the back of his neck, apologetically.

"what the fuck happened?" matt asks, "i left for 5 minutes to use the bathroom and mae's arm looks broken."

"it's not broken!" mae says, laughing it off again. "lets just go skate. that's what we came for, anyway."

mae grabs the hand of whoever is closes to her -- who just so happens to be chris -- and pulls him out onto the skating rink. without knowing that the person she just pulled out here with her sucks at skating, she begins to speed up to a casual pace which is far too fast for a beginner skater.

"wait!" chris yells, making mae quickly come to a halt.

"chris?" mae asks, "i thought you were cora."

"i can't skate as fast as you," he says through his laughs. "you're going fucking 100mph,"

mae laughs too, "i thought you were cora!"

chris suddenly feels those little insects in his stomach. butterflies. not only that, but he can also tell that his cheeks are very red by the way his skin feels hot. all she did was laugh! why is he so flustered over nothing?

"would you- uh, can you help me?" chris asks, clearly a bit embarrassed about asking her to assist him in something she can do so easily.

"i'd love to," mae replies, noticing his hesitance to ask.

she slides over so she's in front of him, facing backward as people fly past them. mae grabs him by the hands and gently pulls him forward.

as chris unintentionally puts weight on her, a sharp pain shoots up mae's arm. and just like last time, mae ignores it and acts like she doesn't feel like her limb is about to fall off. instead of complaining, she wants to have fun with her friends rather than paying attention to the aching pain in her arm.

the two of them look down at their feet as mae smiles while showing him how to move them correctly. "when your left foot goes back like this, your right foot goes up like this. then, if you want, you can move your..."

chris wants to pay attention. he really does. but when the lights above them change colors and make mae's eyes shine even brighter with her smile, he can't seem to focus on anything except for her.

the song changes to one that chris has never heard before. but for some reason, lyrics of the chorus are reminding him of the beautiful girl in front of him.

mae smiles again, making the butterflies in his gut multiply, "you got it?"

"huh? what?" chris says, completely forgetting that he was supposed to be paying attention to her instructions. "there-"

"HEY GUYS!" nick shouts, quickly skating up to the pair and holding a camera in their faces. "say hi to our fans!!"

chris groans, pushing nick away.

mae smiles and snatches the camera out of nick's hands. she giggles before skating away quickly as nick chases behind her. between breaths, she says, "hey! just so everyone knows, chris can't skate!"

"MAE!" nick screams, pushing children out of his way as he catches up to her. "GIVE MY CAMERA BACK!!"

mae holds the camera out in front of her with the arm that's not injured. without looking in front of her, mae continues to weave between the people skating around her while nick plows through them mercilessly.

suddenly, mae's body collides with someone else's. the two of them fall to the ground and mae's weight is on her arm once again. but this time, she doesn't think she can ignore the pain.

"oww," the person on top of her complains, "are you okay?"

mae winces at the pain in her elbow but still says, "mhm. i'm fine."

nick skates past them and picks up his camera before victoriously waving it around above his head. out of no where, cora comes up from behind nick and shoves him out of the way of her friend.

ₓ˚. ୭ ˚○◦˚.˚◦○˚ ୧.˚ₓ
a/n:
what song do y'all think was playing?