chap. 14 - first snow

"Wednesday, look!" Enid was standing in front of their dorm's window, both her hands pressed against it. She was so excited her breath was fogging up the window.

"What is it?" Wednesday walked over from her desk, standing next to Enid. "Snow?" She asked, looking at Enid. "First snow of the year!", Enid exclaimed, still excited. "That's nice, I suppose. I just don't exactly see the relevance." Enid wasn't bothered by Wednesday's (usual) coldness. Not even in the slightest. "Please, can we go out and see it?" Wednesday crossed her arms in front of her chest, thinking about Enid's request. "Why can't you go by yourself?" Enid frowned at Wednesday's words, having really hoped the girl would go along with her plans. Just once.

"C'mon it'd be so much more fun if we went together. It's snow after all! It's so pretty, don't you think?" Wednesday looked out the window, seeing the snow flakes fall, painting the ground white. "Mostly what I think of with snow is the freezing cold, the way it makes my hair wet and people who slip on frozen puddles. Tell me how any of that is good." Enid finally turned around to face Wednesday, seeing the look on the girl's face. "Why can't you just do this for me?"

Wednesday looked at Enid for a moment, before deciding to answer her. "Fine, but don't complain to me later on." Enid smiled, jumping happily. She knew Wednesday couldn't resist her after all, no matter how much she complained. "Thank you, thank you, thank you!" Enid happily skipped out of their room, barely giving Wednesday time to put on her jacket and snood. 

When Enid opened the large doors to exit the school a gust of cold wind hit her in the face. The fresh air sent a chill down her spine, which she forgot almost instantly when she saw the thick white blanket the snow had left on the ground. She was holding her hands together, smiling at the sight of the white-painted world. "Isn't it beautiful, Wens?"

Enid turned around to face Wednesday and noticed the girl wasn't even paying attention to the snow. Instead, she was facing Enid, the expression on her face indescribable to Enid. 

"What's wrong?" Enid questioned the smaller girl, concern now apparent on her own face. Wednesday's lips curved up into a half smile, before she took of her jacket and swung it over Enid's shoulders. She then continued to hold onto Enid's cold face, while looking deeply into her eyes. "Not as beautiful as you", Wednesday whispered against Enid's lips before finally connecting them.