Chapter 69 - Black

Start from the beginning

Before we went in, my dad noticed my grandad stood with a carer towards the front of the pack. They hadn't managed to dress him in formal attire but a black jumper and joggers would suffice for today's events.

"He's quite confused today, Mr Fox." The carer announced by the side of him as we built up the courage to greet him.

Nobody had even considered what a huge life altering moment this was for him. He'd been married to my nan for over six decades and in the blink of an eye, his whole world was shattered into a million pieces.

"Steve, please." My dad smiled at the friendly carer as she smiled back, obviously feeling oddly out of place attending a funeral for a woman she's never even before met. "Dad, are you alright?"

"Who are you?" My grandad queried before the carer decided to hold him back, getting in between father and son.

"Steve, let's just get the funeral done before we stress him out too much." She advised as we kindly accepted, for once we put nan first and thought that her send off was more appropriate to focus on right now.

The music started as the coffin entered the building. Rachel linked her arm with mine as she stayed to the front with me. Family only. Because that's what she was to us, family.

"Mavis was a devoted wife, mother, sister and grandmother. She was also lucky enough to see the birth of her first great grandchild, Delilah." As the priest spoke, Delilah bounced on Penelope's lap, the spectators taking a brief moment to look in her direction as she smiled.

I couldn't help but feel an ounce of envy at the fact that Penelope had the opportunity for her daughter to meet my nan; why did this have to be ripped from me when I was so close to the end goal?

"She waited on hand and foot for her husband for so many glorious years. Her smile was described as one which could light up a room and her laughter was contagious. Mavis was always helping where she could, often supporting the local church and Sunday schools with activities such as fundraisers and carol services." The priest continued to sing her accomplishments towards the many people who had decided to attend today.

"And to read us a message, Mavis' granddaughter, Amy." I was welcomed to the stage as the others watched intently. Luckily, I'd managed to sneak some mediation on the way here, not wanting to risk a panic attack of colossal size at a funeral.

I placed my hands either side of the alter as I looked across the sea of people. Each person was dressed in black as they watched the ceremony. Many spectators had tissues in their hands as they looked over at my nan's coffin; a picture of her rested on the top. She was in her early twenties, appearing so happy and youthful.

"You can shed tears that she is gone, or you can smile because she has lived.

You can close your eyes and pray that she will come back, or you can open your eyes and see all that she has left.

Your heart can be empty because you can't see her, or you can be full of the love that you shared.

You can turn your back on tomorrow and live yesterday, or you can be happy for tomorrow because of yesterday.

You can remember her and only that she is gone, or you can cherish her memory and let it live on.

You can cry and close your mind, be empty and turn your back.

Or you can do what she would want: smile, open your eyes, love and go on."

*********************************************

DANIEL

"I hope Amy's alright." I randomly said as I sat in a group with Lando, Max and Michael. We were all sat on the floor, playing Monopoly around the small coffee table which hosted in the middle of Max's hotel room.