13. Liz

POV: Aisha

The lady introduced herself as Elisabeth, but insisted that we call her Liz. Kalatril had grunted, unable of responding properly, whilst I studied the woman as she brought us to a cottage, her's, presumably.
The perks of living in the middle of the forest, in a desert field, was that you almost always didn't have to share with neighbors, Elizabeth's house reflected that perfectly. Although it was dark and that the moon was hidden behind a few clouds, I could see the house and the premises in detail, thanks to my good vision. I took in the most I could escape as fast as I could with Kalatril if needed.
The cottage was made in wood, ash tree probably, (since the south borders of the empire were close to gnome territory) the back and front garden were beautiful and I could clearly spot two pens, animal silhouettes in either one of them.

Elizabeth was still carrying her gun as she pushed the door open, leading directly to the kitchen, dining table and living room. There was a staircase that led to the upper floors and few lamps that were filled with bugs illuminated the room with their spark.

Elizabeth came closer to me and startled me by trying to take Kalatril off my back.
I narrow my eyes at her and she sighs.

-I need to cover his wounds ya know?, she simply said, with her countryside accent.

After judging her intensely, I knock my fist gently on Kalatril's head to get him to wake up, Elizabeth looked at me weird but my technique worked, my dear friend opened his eyes and came to his feet after almost tripping on the ground. Elizabeth told him to sit down on a chair and took out some bandages, alcohol and pills. As she started talking care of the wounds on his head and chest, I heard something. I snap my head towards the stairs, spotting two kids, a eight year old boy and a six year old girl. The boy was holding an exact replica of Elizabeth's gun and was keeping it steady as if ready to shoot anytime. I didn't even need to turn and warn our host and to see Kalatril's worried face, Elizabeth seemed to already be aware.

-Mom, I thought intruders were here, but I see you actually brought guest, his voice was stable and almost sent shivers down my spine.

-Leon, put down the gun, if you fire it, I will have to take you to the nearest apothecary because of the pain of your shattered bones in your arms, her tone was amused signaling that she almost put an 'again' at the end of the phrase.

Leon pouted and the girl next to him ran towards Elizabeth.

-Mommy! You brought guests!, her voice trailed off when she spotted the blood from the hunters smudged on her mother's cheek, Are you hurt? What happened?

As soon as Elizabeth heard the delicate question, she smiled warmly as any mother would. That reassured me.

-I went for a night stroll when I found those two young adults being attacked by a wild boar, I shot him but he got away. I'm not hurt, I'm okay Honora, she answered.

So-called Honora felt relieved and so did I, even if the boar part was a lie, I had a feeling that Elizabeth wouldn't let a hurt animal find a long death in pain and alone after being shot, and the fact that she lied right away for her child to be unaware of what dangers laid in the night helped my judgmental approach to my host.

Elizabeth turned back to Kalatril before packing up the medical kit and put it back where it belonged. She then turned to her two kids.