Not his fault

[a/n] Song of the chapter - married life (slowed down version) 😀👍

(sorry for the tears)

...

Simon sat on the porch of his house, as the sun was starting to set, casting a warm golden glow across the landscape. Foap lay at his feet, dozing off and Simon gently stroked its fur, feeling its softness against his fingers.

The gentle breeze rustled through the trees, creating a soft whispering sound that added to the peaceful atmosphere. Simon took a deep breath, inhaling the fresh air, and for a second, he savored the tranquility of the moment.

And then he suddenly felt a presence next to him. Simon turned his head to see me sitting beside him, looking beautiful as ever.

"Hey" I said softly.

"You're...you're here" Simon stammered, his heart racing.

"Of course, I am here... I never left you" I replied, smiling at him.

We sat there in silence for a few moments, Simon taking in the sight of me.

"Why haven't we been talking?" I finally asked, breaking the silence.

"I don't know, you are angry at me"

"My love, I am not" I tried to comfort him, my eyes searching for his.

"But it is my fault you had to go through all of that" Simon shook his head, feeling tears prick at the corners of his eyes.

"I told you I would come back and I did, that is all that matters" I put my hand on his shoulder

"But-"

"I'm always with you, Simon, in your heart and in your memories"

"But I should have been there for you. I should have protected you"

"And you did everything you could, Simon" I said, my voice gentle and soothing.

"I'm so sorry" He whispered, his voice breaking.

"You have nothing to be sorry for, Simon" I looked at him with love and compassion.

We then sat in silence for a few minutes, both lost in our own thoughts.

"I've been trying to avoid memories of you" Simon finally confessed.

"You don't have to do that, Simon. I want you to remember the good times we had together. I want you to remember me, not as a memory, but as a part of your life" I said, leaning my head on his shoulder.

"But you are never coming back, are you?" He asked, his fingers tracing circles on the back of my hand.

I looked at him, not a word escaping my mouth. I sighed and rested my forehead against his. I just couldn't bring myself to say anything so I just held him close, appreciating each second.

I then got up to leave and Simon felt dread wash over him.

"Don't go" He said, reaching out to grab my hand.

"I have to" I replied, smiling sadly at him.

"Will I see you again?" He asked, his voice laced with hope.

"Only on the other side, my love"

...

As Simon opened his eyes, the world shattered around him. The dream he had just experienced was so vivid, so real, that it took him a few moments to realize that it was all just a figment of his imagination.

He felt a deep sense of emptiness as he gazed around our room, the contrast between the warm and peaceful dream and the cold, bleak reality of his surroundings was almost too much to bear.