And as always, Ajax dreamed about the images he'd seen at Hecate's crossroads: Leo falling through the sky; Percy and Annabeth lying unconscious, possibly dead, in front of black metal doors; and a shrouded figure looming above them—the giant Clytius wrapped in darkness.

Curiously, after Nico had come to share the bed with him, Ajax had slept more soundly than he had in days. No nightmares plagued him, no visions of the future.

Nico really was a calming influence.

Next to him on the rail, Gale the weasel chittered impatiently. Ajax glared back at her.

I can't even control my own dreams, he wanted to scream. How am I supposed to control the Mist?

He was so miserable, he didn't notice Piper until she was standing at his side.

"Why didn't you tell us?" she asked.

Ajax looked down at his feet. He really didn't want to have this conversation. He wasn't sure what her reaction would be. Positive? Negative?

"I didn't know how you guys would react," Ajax said honestly. "I'm relatively new to this stuff too. When I died, I looked like a girl and people thought of me as a girl"

"So now having everyone look at you as a guy was..."

"It was a rush actually" Ajax explained. "Finally, everyone seeing me as I see myself. I still get giddy about it"

"Thank you for telling me. You didn't have to, but you did"

Piper slipped her arm around Ajax's shoulders. He tensed a little, but didn't withdraw from the touch.

Last night, before all the polecat business, Ajax had knocked on her door. He'd been a stuttering mess, not explaining anything, just asking for menstrual hygiene products.

Piper had been confused at first, but she gave him what he asked for.

It seemed she put it together herself.

"We're Greek for fucks sake, Ajax" She laughed a little, "No one on board is going to judge"

"Yeah? Tell that to Nico"

Piper frowned.

"Did he say something?"

"No- nothing" Ajax shook his head, "It got sorted, don't worry"

"Okay.." She seemed skeptical but finally relented. "I mean it, Ajax, no one will have a problem with it. You don't have to tell them, of course. But if you wanted to, you could. And if they're transphobic, we'll just throw them off board"

Ajax loved the way she said the last part, totally serious. He was overcome with gratitude to have a friend like her. So he showed his thanks by slightly nudging closer to her.

"Thanks, Pipes."

"Anytime Jax"

"Jax?" Ajax raised his eyebrows and looked at her incredulously. Her arm slipped off his shoulder and she crossed her arms in front of her chest.

"Pipes?"

"Okay, fair"

"Can I tell you something too?" Piper asked, she lowered her voice as if it was a secret. Ajax looked around on deck, there was no one else near them. Hazel was across from them, but she was too busy trying not to throw up, and Leo of course at the helm. "I think I like girls"

It took him a second or two to catch up and realize what Piper had said, ever since he woke up, he'd been pretty distracted. But when he finally processed the words, Ajax grinned.

"You do?"

"I mean.. I've noticed that girls are..."

"Hot as fuck?"

"Exactly" Piper smiled. She looked relieved, the tension gone from her body, more relaxed.

"I'm so proud of you" Ajax gripped her by her shoulders, "That's so fucking cool"

"And you?"

"Hmm? Oh I'm bisexual"

"I think that's what I am too," Piper admitted.

"Fuck yesssss" Ajax pressed a kiss to her forehead, trying not to make a big deal out of it. He wasn't one big on affection, but ever since he stepped on the ship, Piper had been there for him. He wanted to let her know how much he appreciated her. "I knew there was some other queer person on board"

"We're Greek" Piper repeated, "I'm pretty sure all of us are a little gay"

"You're the best," Ajax grinned.

"Hope I'm not interrupting anything"

Two seconds ago Nico had been climbing up the stairs and now he was by their side. How he moved so fast was beyond Ajax. He was pretty sure Nico actually teleported to scare the shit out of them.

Piper started, but Nico didn't seem like he heard anything. And besides, he was cooler about this stuff now.

Ajax didn't know what was wrong with him this fine morning though. He was sour and bitter, like an old man. What was his problem with Piper? He narrowed his eyes at her, his arms crossing over his chest.

That day, Nico wore his aviator jacket as usual, but with a dark grey t-shirt instead of his usual black.

"Breaking out the spring colors I see"

"No you're not interrupting anything" Piper answered his question. Nico had rolled his eyes, ignoring Ajax's sarcasm, though he looked down at his t-shirt a little self consciously.

"Are you sure? If you guys wanted to keep warm, there's heaters below deck" Nico looked at the space between them or rather the lack thereof. Ajax was almost hugging Piper again, and she had her hand on his shoulder.

Oh.

Okay, Ajax could tell it looked bad. He wanted to tell Nico it wasn't like that, but then again, why was Nico so concerned, and why did Ajax want him to know he wasn't interested in Piper?

"Pretty cozy in your room" Nico mentioned, "I made your bed because you suck"

"And swallow," Ajax said reflexively.

'What?"

"What?"

Piper snorted, looking between the two. She took a step away from Ajax, looking rather amused.

"Pipessss" Ajax whined when she started to walk away.

"I don't want to be involved in whatever... that is "

"That?" Nico raised and eyebrow, "There is no 'That'"

"Exactly"

"Whatever you say, Loverboy" Piper grinned back at Ajax. He felt himself go red. Gods. She gave him two thumbs up and scurried away like Gale.

"Loverboy?" Nico frowned at Ajax.

"You had to mention you slept in my room?" Ajax frowned back.

Nico didn't seem to have a response to that.

Gale chittered behind them.

"Why is she here?" Nico asked. He was desperate for a change of topic, and he'd been wondering about the polecat since the night before.

"My mother sent her," Ajax answered, also desperate for a topic change. "To observe"

"Observe what?"

"I don't know" Ajax tried not to let his frustration show, "Some kind of test?"

Suddenly the boat lurched forward.