14

Actually, Verity did recognise Hope Fletcher. As wife of the alderman, she'd been at the heart of the little community, bustling around, busying herself with everyone and everything. At the time, Verity had always assumed that Hope was stupid, or weak, in tow to her self-important husband; but now, actually, she wasn't so sure. The woman looked like she had steel in her bones.

Hope took a few steps, but she didn't come very close; she must have seen Verity flinch, so she stopped.

'So I need to promise. Well, how's this: if you speak true, I swear on my soul, and the soul of my husband, to try and keep you safe from the townsfolk. Good enough?'

Verity considered this. She'd never been put much stock in the twin god brothers of the Church; but the fact that they were all alive thanks to the chapel was a pretty convincing argument. She imagined any trouble that Hope had with her faith had been erased. Well, OK.

'Tira taught me how to make charms, how to sing the song of sanctity. The things won't come into my home when I do that. That's all,' she said. 'I ain't no witch.'

'No, that's old magic, but it's not witchcraft,' said Hope. 'Doubt the Father approves, but he won't condemn you for it, neither. Anything else?'

'She taught me how to throw the runes. And that's it! That's OK, isn't it?'

She knew it was only half an answer,

Hope laughed, not unkindly. 'Oh, you silly girl. There's no power in the runes. If there was we'd all be rich. That crazy old woman taught you, didn't she?'

Verity remembered the strange way the runes fell, as if gravity didn't work properly on them; how they arranged themselves on the ground so neatly and consistently. How they felt slightly warm to the touch. She was going to object to Hope's gentle mockery; but then Verity remembered what Tira said; how the people were the danger. So she just shrugged and looked down at her feet.

'Yes, Goody Fletcher,' she mumbled.

Hope nodded, seemingly satisfied.

'Father Hooper,' she called. 'You can come back. This one's not a danger. Your soul is safe.'

The young man came up to them both, stumbling through the forest. He couldn't have been far. Hope wondered how much he'd heard, whether he'd actually been listening, despite what he'd said.

'Charms and runes, Father. Charms and runes. Frivolous cantrips. She's not any more in league with these devils than I am,' said Hope.

The priest ran his fingers through his blond hair.

'Charms are no sin', he said. 'Although the Twin Brothers bless us with a far more powerful sanctuary. But the runes... They're no silly toys, Goody Fletcher. The Church hasn't made a decision on them, so I don't know if they're a sin or not.. But... I agree. I don't think they've the power to summon devils from hell.'

Verity could feel a knot of fear untying in her. If Father Hooper vouched for her, maybe the townsfolk of Hod wouldn't be intent on stoning her for a witch.

'So that's how you've survived. They won't cross a circle of sanctity?' asked the priest.

Verity nodded. 'I been making them every night, after Tira left. She said they might keep me safe.'

'Well, that's good to know.' He shook his head. 'I didn't even know they worked. I was always told they were just a silly superstition. What do the runes say?'

His question surprised her.

'What? You want me to ask 'em?' she asked.

'As I said: the Church hasn't decided if they're a sin or not. As long as it hasn't, they aren't. We need every help we can get. So, what do they say?'

'When I asked for guidance, they just say "death".'

'Well, how they say we escape?' asked the priest, frustration in his voice.

'That's not one of the questions you can ask, sorry.' She pulled the little rune bag out. A thought occurred to her; she remembered the chattering of the things, their bright intelligent eyes. 'I could ask what the devils want, if you like.'

Hope waved dismissively. 'You're both wasting your time. We should get back.'

'No, it will only take a moment. If you would be so good, Verity Fisher, please ask the runes what the devils want.'

Verity nodded, and picked up the rectangles of bones in her fist. They pulsed there, quiescent. She closed her eyes, and whispered the question that meant what do my enemies want? She passed her hands over each other, and opened them. The runes fell to the mossy ground; some as heavy like lead, others fluttered into place like feathers.

She squatted down to look at the pattern.

'I'm not very good at this, yet,' she said to the priest. 'This is the rune for treasure; this way up, in this position, it means money. And this is the rune for want. And the rest, they don't matter. They fell in a way that shows they're not interesting.'

The priest looked at the bone rectangles, confused.

'They want money? That makes no sense. They've left gold, trampled into the ground, surrounded by bones. I heard Goodman Wright beg for his life, and offered his riches just before he was murdered. They want no money. Have you read this right?'

'As I said, I'm not very good at this yet. A rune means lots of different things. This can mean price, or debt...'

'So they're claiming a debt,' said Father Hooper, softly. 'That makes more sense.'

He straightened up.

'I think you should come with us back to Hod,' he said. 'Maybe someone there knows something.'

Verity was out of ideas, so she just nodded, mutely; and they set off, Hope and Father Hooper leading the way, Verity following them.

Verity was quiet for much of the walk, lost in her own fears. If felt nice to be with other people, even if she wasn't sure she trusted them. Father Hooper and Hope had a muttered conversation some way ahead; even though they were trying to be quiet, Verity guessed that Hope was attempting to dissuade the priest from trusting the runes. Verity couldn't hear what Father Hooper was saying, though.

Eventually Hope and Father Hooper lapsed into silence.