I follow her.

As we were walking she used her gentle tone to tell me, "You did great," I stopped on my track.

She senses that I'm not following her anymore and stopped.

"You endure all that for one year. You did great. Truly. Now, I promise you'll get to have a normal happy life again," she turned around and walked towards me. Now that she's standing in front of me, she bends down to my height.

I purse my lip together as my eyes swell up with tears.

"As a ten year old, you're strong," her voice brought me comfort and hope.

"Thank you," I brittle. I look at the floor.

She brought my face to face and helped me wipe my tears. "Come on, your mom is waiting," I nodded and followed her.

As we got out, I saw my mom nervously waiting while fidgeting with her fingers.

"Mom!" I called out. She stood up immediately and ran up to me.

"Did you tell them everything," I nodded. She hugged me.

"I'm sorry if you think I'm a bad mother. I should've done this a long time ago so you wouldn't experience all those pain. I'm sorry. I'm such a bad mother," she whispers as she sniveled.

"No, I understand mom. You love him. That's what love is. Besides, I couldn't do it to my own father either," she pulled away from the hug and took my hand.

"Let's go home now," she smiles. The accurate smile that I haven't seen for months. It's been a long time since I saw her genuine smile. And it's beautiful.

---

Present

New York, USA

January 8, 2024

"THEY'RE HERE!!" I shot up from my bed and looked at the time.

7:30

Shit.

I got out of bed at speed and hopped in the shower without hesitation. I let the cold water wash away my sleepiness and clean myself then got out, brush my teeth, dry my hair, choose an outfit out of rush, put on sunscreen, and put on a creme cup lipstick.

I did all that shit in just a few minutes. Yes, I'm so fucking late for the new term of the year.

I grab my bag and put on my sneaker then disappear.

I ran down the stairs.

"Be careful," My mom stood in front of the door. I went and kissed her cheek before opening the door.

"Have a great day," She said. "You too."

I got outside and was greeted by three smiling faces with their bike beside them.

These are my best friends. I met them two years ago. Not that I thought our friendship would last this long but this world is full of unexpected things.

"You forgot to put your alarm again?" Jude asks. I nodded and walked to the garage and grabbed my bike.

Look.... we're not poor but riding a bike to school is something really fun to do with friends actually. If you never did that you're missing out.