Terrified For The Future

Start from the beginning

Jonathan said, "I hope they give less homework."

Friday rolled around, and Jasper was nervous. He wondered who the new Defence teacher would be. He wondered if they would help him with new defensive spells like Professor Tutman had originally promised? He hoped so. The first year Hufflepuffs had heard rumours that he was a good teacher, but also a bit rough. They had also seen him eat meals, and he looked a bit scary.

The Hufflepuffs walked down to the Defence classroom, and sat down in their seats. They had heard many different opinions from other years, and houses, and they were all interested, and antsy to meet the new professor personally.

"I hope he is a good teacher." Harry whispered to Jasper. "I've heard he is an auror."

"What's that again?" Jasper asked, still getting used to all the new Wizarding World terminology.

"It is kind of like the magical police, I guess." Harry replied.

Jasper was about to ask something else, but all of a sudden the door slammed shut, and the new Defence teacher walked gruffly to the front of the room. He grabbed a piece of chalk, and started scribbling some notes down. He turned to the class. He had an eyepatch, and he used his good eye to scan the students.

His eye landed on Harry first. "Warbeck." He stated. Harry nodded, quickly. "Mmmm, know your mum." His eye scanned the room. His eye landed on Jonathan and Gifford. "Abbotts, there are like seven of you, jesus...Jenkins...Carin...Brown, yeah?" Marty nodded. "And...Drewner." He said as his eye landed on Penelope. "And...I don't know you." He said while observing Jasper.

"Um...Jasper Odair sir." He said nervously.

He nodded, and turned back to the board, writing a phrase on it. "Constant vigilance." He muttered. "Write that down!" He yelled. "CONSTANT VIGILANCE!!" He roared, turning back to the group of Hufflepuffs who quickly started to scribble down the phrase.

Jasper was frightened by his loud manner. Harry nudged him suddenly, making him flinch. Harry looked over, concerned. "Write it down okay? You okay?" He whispered.

Jasper nodded, and wrote the phrase down quickly. You're okay, you're okay, you're okay. He repeated over in his head.

"What is the best way to block Dark Magic?" The gruff man said. "BY EXPECTING IT!" He yelled. "Always be ready, always be alert. You can fall prey to it at any moment, so you must always be ready. These are dark times, dark arts are being practiced at this moment. Your defences are useless unless you're prepared to face them. If your eyes are closed, even for a moment, YOU ARE DEAD!!!" He slammed his fist on the desk, making all the Hufflepuffs jump. "You know how I have stayed alive? Because I am always on the go, always have my eyes open, I am always ready for an attack, you need to be alert at all times. I do not fall prey to the one they call the Dark Lord, and his followers, if you do...you'll end up being killed, blasted to bits, or worse!" He looked at the class, and the different variations of terror plastered on their faces. "You're scared? Good. You should be. CONSTANT VIGILANCE!!!"

Jasper was terrified; of this man, and what he said. He was so loud, and he yelled a lot, and he just had such a scary manner that made Jasper's insides crawl. He hated when adults yelled, especially adult men.

He shrunk in his seat a bit. He had never had a teacher like this.

"You must know your enemy." The professor continued. "I'm Alastor Moody, and let me tell you that the enemy is the one they call You Know Who, He Who Must Not Be Named, Lord Voldemort." He rapped his knuckles on the board

That listed each of these names. "He is the darkest wizard of our time since Gellert Grindelwald."

Maryrose raised her hand slowly.