Chapter Twelve: 2021

October 2021

"There's my sexy girl," Harry called as Quinn turned the deadbolt on her apartment door. He turned his attention back to the pot of simmering sauce in front of him.

"I told you not to make me anything," Quinn said, removing her mask and heading to the bathroom to wash her hands.

"I know. But I also know that you probably haven't eaten anything other than a bagel all day, so just let me feed you."

Quinn shook her, but she secretly loved Harry's mother hen tendencies. It felt nice to be looked after after she spent the day doing that for everyone else. She climbed the stairs to her bedroom and quickly pulled on sweats and shirt, wanting to get downstairs and tuck into whatever Harry had made her. Despite her insistence that she wasn't, she was in fact very hungry and based on the smells wafting through the apartment, it appeared that Harry was making penne alla vodka, her favorite.

"Plate's on the table," Harry called from the sink where he was washing dishes as Quinn bounded down the stairs. "Poured you a glass of wine as well."

"Thank you, H."

"Thought the premiere tonight was great," Harry said.

"Really?"

"Yeah, you didn't?"

"I mean, Kacey was great but the rest of the show was fine. Not our best."

"Tough critic," Harry said.

"I'm keeping us honest." Quinn took a bite of the pasta and swallowed. "Are you going to come and sit with me, or what?" she asked, gesturing to the empty chair next to her.

"Bossy lady."

"Please?"

Harry sighed. "If you insist." He turned off the water at the sink and dried his hands before claiming the seat next to Quinn. "Better?" Quinn nodded and continued to eat.

It had been about six weeks since they had last seen each other. Quinn had been splitting her time between New York and London, staying stateside while SNL was in season, and meeting up with Harry in London during the hiatuses, while Harry divided his time between London and Los Angeles, taking on some film roles while waiting for touring to start up again. They'd spent a wonderful summer together, traveling throughout Europe, before Quinn returned to the city and Harry decamped to Los Angeles for long-awaited tour rehearsals.

When his tour started in September, Quinn surprised Harry at opening night, but had otherwise lived vicariously through updates from Jeff, Tom, and Tommy, who were surprisingly good about sending videos and pictures throughout each show. Harry had just wrapped up two nights in Nashville and had arrived in New York ahead of Sunday's first show at MSG.

He'd gotten into the city earlier that day and made himself at home while Quinn spent the day at 30 Rock preparing for SNL's season opener. The first week back was always tough, but getting to spend the next two nights cheering on Harry was the perfect way to celebrate surviving the week.

"For someone who said she wasn't hungry you finished that awfully quick," Harry said, eyeing Quinn's empty plate.

"Any chance I could get some more?" she asked, holding up the dish.

"You already know the answer to that. Want to eat while we watch Below Deck?"

"And I think you know the answer to that."

Quinn couldn't lie. Being with Harry while he was touring was just as tough as it was the last time around, but thankfully they'd learned from past experience and had been able to work out weekly rituals that kept them close. Their favorite was FaceTimeing while eating dinner and watching Below Deck: Mediterranean each week, no matter how late it was when Harry got offstage and Quinn returned home. Harry had suggested saving their weekly watch party for when they were back together in person this week, and Quinn had to admit watching the program curled into Harry's side while eating a delicious, home-cooked meal was the optimal viewing experience.