Chapter Nine: 2019

December 2019

Time.

That's what Quinn had asked Harry for that night in the Hamptons. Time to figure out what would make her heart and her head stop racing in the painful way they had been in recent weeks.

Their conversation that night had seemingly raised more questions instead of providing the answers they were hoping for, but she'd walked away from that week knowing one thing for certain: Harry loved her. A deep, profound kind of love she hadn't been aware she'd been looking for. And she didn't know if she could break his heart, even if it would spare her future pain. Quinn and Harry hadn't broken up. They were still together and completely enamored with one another but what was once a future full of unlimited promise was now a dark cloud of uncertainty.

Even with that hanging over them, Quinn was still ready to support him, which is how she found herself taking a last minute flight to Los Angeles for Harry's concert celebrating the debut of his new album. It was a show week – Scarlett Johansson was the host – but Quinn had managed to get permission to fly out Friday morning, as long as she was back by dress on Saturday. Getting the time off was surprisingly easy now that people knew she was with Harry.

She hadn't shared the details of her flight with Harry. She knew he would be overly accommodating, especially after the last fiasco at the Forum, and she didn't want to distract him from his big night. So when she landed, she called an Uber, tossed her overnight bag on the seat next to her, and texted Jeffrey that she was on the way.

"Quinn!"

Quinn stepped onto the curb and saw Jeffrey waving at her as he jogged up the path.

"Perfect timing," he said, pulling her into a hug when she met him halfway.

"How's he doing?" she asked

"You know how he gets," Jeffrey said. "He says he's all loose and cool, but he's really just a ball of anxious energy." He paused. "It does seem like it's a little worse tonight...probably because it's the first time playing it and everything." He looked at Quinn. "Wait, does he know you're coming?"

"Yes," Quinn said. "He didn't know the flight details though so don't yell at him for not meeting me at the airport."

Jeffrey laughed. "That's a throwback."

"Not one I'd care to relive if I'm being honest."

"Want to stop and grab a cup of coffee?" Jeffrey asked. "There's a shop nearby and I could definitely use a break."

"Yes, I desperately need caffeine."

They darted across the street through the suspiciously light traffic and Quinn grabbed a seat on the patio while Jeffrey ordered inside, emerging 10 minutes later with two iced coffees, condensation dripping down his wrist.

"This is much more pleasant than our last encounter, that's for sure," he said, as Quinn added cream and sugar to her cup.

"Definitely." She took a sip from the plastic cup.

"Is everything OK with the two of you?" Jeff asked, making no effort to hide his blatant attempt at fishing.

"What has he told you?" Quinn asked, getting a sense of the situation.

"Not much, just that you all are working through some stuff." Jeffrey eyed Quinn. "He's been a little more subdued lately."

Quinn folded the paper straw wrapper. Subdued was the perfect way to describe Harry's behavior over the past couple of weeks. He'd become more measured, choosing his words carefully during their phone conversations, almost as if he felt like any sudden move would spook her and cause her to run.