Marriage First

"Duties and danger."

Keilah

A pure white fox fur clock trimmed with diamonds was placed around her shoulders as the Wayvolkan howled in chorus. Queen Keilah. She had won the Vixen Trials and now she would rule them all. She floated with the glory of it all as the Prince led her to the golden throne that would now be hers. Stunned, she sat down on it and one by one, the leaders of each House, with their chosen family members, came and congratulated her. She spoke gracious words of reply again and again, while the Prince fed her the names and status of all who came before her.

When a plump, middle-aged lady attired in mourning red approached, the Prince stiffened.
"That's the mother of the girl we killed. Her name is Lady Pilonia."

​All her rote replies died on her lips as she looked into the large angry eyes of the lady before her.

​"I'm truly sorry," she got out.

Lady Pilonia glared at her but her tone was mild at first. "Sorry for living?" she said. "I'm sorry the Vixen Trials were even invented and that my daughter insisted on participating."

Suddenly she screamed, "You took out her eyes, you vicious she-cat" and she thrust out her fingers like claws at Keilah's face. Keilah in panic threw her arm up, the thick fur of the cloak shielding her.

The Prince with flashing eyes ordered Lady Pilonia away to the dungeons, and, as a seeming afterthought the Hattavah also. Shaken Keilah watched the Lady be escorted away, and Dakkoul kicked to his feet. She wanted to protest, but one look at the set, angry face of the Prince made her hold her tongue. She looked again at the long line of well wishers and bit back a groan.

"This is what being Queen is all about," the Prince said with a wry grin that melted his anger. "Duties and danger."

"Not just that, I hope," she said managing a weak smile in return.

​When the last of the lesser Wayvolk deemed important enough to meet her left with a bow, she went outside the palace, to the platform where Dakkoul had so recently been punished. The ringing crowds shouted their approval of her win, and calling out, "The Bi-eyed Beauty" and "Fox-blessed". The Prince beside her basked in the obvious joy of the people. "What a couple we shall be. We match in every way. We shall usher in a new reign of prosperity for all."

​That night, during the feast with endless toasts to her health and happiness that she had to respond to, Keilah began to long for bed. By the time she reached her newly appointed luxurious chambers with an odd statue of a woman writhing in pain by her door, she could barely hold up her head. Alyssia fussed around her, taking off her cloak, congratulating her, while she swallowed the impatient words that hovered on her tongue.

Finally she toppled into bed and let Alyssia pull the covers up over her, the chill of the mattress beneath her not stopping her mind racing towards dream land, when she heard the sound of Alyssia's voice talking to someone at the door. A flash of anger pulled at her. How dare Alyssia talk to someone now? She was planning to scold her about that in the morning, when a warm body slid in next to her and an arm reached out towards her. She sat up, to see the Prince grinning beside her.

​"What are you doing in my bed? Get out."

​The Prince raised his eyebrows but did not move. "We're chosen mates. It is the time for breeding."

​"Not with me," she flashed back.

​"Only with you. We must make our spring kits."

​"No," she said, sliding out of her bed, feeling the cool wooden floors beneath her feet, grateful for the presence of Alyssia watching with anxious eyes nearby. "I'm exhausted and we are not yet joined."

​"That doesn't matter. I've declared publicly you will be Queen. That is enough."

​"My mother felt otherwise. I will listen to her and honor her memory. Besides I hardly know you. I don't want to mate with you yet."

​"It's because of him, isn't it," the Prince said his tone vicious. You want him in your bed instead."

​"No," she said as he pushed over the woman statue by the door and stormed out.

​"Well done, Lady Keilah," Alyssia said, moving towards her. "You stood your ground. You defied the Prince."

​She trembled all over but anger comsumed her. "How dare he assume I'll mate with him whenever he wants. Slipping into my bed like that! Guard the door tonight. I want it locked against him or anyone else who thinks they can just stroll in."

​Her bed did not feel anywhere near as soft and warm as before, but she forced herself to shut her eyes until she slept.

​When the soft light of the morning drifted over her face she awoke, she checked to make sure her bed was still empty. Alyssia stood by the door and began to hum softly, the tune of that song they had sung in her meeting. Keilah remembered what happened the night before and a sick feeling invaded her stomach. She had refused the Prince in the breeding season. Surely she had a right to, since they were not even joined, but everyone seemed to think mating was usual and expected and not that significant. She wondered if she had over-reacted, but thinking again of his arrogant expectation made her angry all over again. She'd mate or not when she chose to and not before.