Saving Face

"Hey, Baby," Varian said shyly over the phone. "What you up to?"

He could hear Hugo grin through his words. "Oh, nothing much. Just rehearsing with my band."

"You got a minute?"

"For you? I have all the time in the world, Hon."

"Fucking hell," someone in the background complained. "I liked it better when you were single, Hugo."

"Shut it, Yong!" Hugo barked, and there was a roar of laughter. "Sorry... what'd you need, Var?"

"Don't worry, I'll be quick. I was wondering, if I could take you out somewhere this week?" 

He could hear the blond walking somewhere more private as the sound of chatter died down. "Like a dat—" Hugo began.

"Like a date, yeah," he interrupted nervously, "but it's... somewhere pretty nice. I made a reservation if you're interested."

There was a pause. "How nice we talking?"

"Uh," his voice cracked.

"Wow. So, like, the nicest restaurant in town." Varian hesitated. "Oh shit. Is it the nicest?"

"No, not the nicest," he said hastily, "but it does have five stars."

"Holy—Var, I only own goth street clothes, and won't people recognize me and you there?"

"Well, we'd be eating in a private area. It would just be me and you on the terrace."

"We'd get our own terrace?" he exclaimed.

He giggled. "Yeah, and like a private garden and stuff. That area of the restaurant is owned by the Blanchet's." He sighed. "I'd love to be able to take you there. They have really amazing food and wine and stuff, and I don't know..." He bit his lip. "I want to treat you on a real date, since we're officially together now, and okay, maybe I want to spoil you just a smidge."

"I like the sound of that. I think we'll still be recognized walking in together though."

"You think so?" He clicked his tongue. "You're probably right. Should I cancel it then?"

"No, no! Don't cancel. I'll figure something out."

"What do you mean? What are you going to do?"

"I have an idea, but I'm still sorting it out in my head. Don't worry. We're doing this date no matter what."

"Are you sure?"

"Positive. I'm not going to turn down my baby, especially for a romantic date."

He smiled dopily. "Well, alright."

"Speaking of food, you want me to bring you something later today? We can dine in at your place. Wosta Vida is nearby..."

"Oh, hell yeah! I love Wosta Vida! We'll have dinner and then later, maybe some entertainment." He dropped his voice on the last word, causing Hugo to gasp dramatically.

"That's so inappropriate, Var!"

He giggled. "I know you wouldn't be able to resist—" He whispered something into the phone that would cause a self-righteous old lady at church to clutch her pearls and cross herself furiously.

"Oh hoo hoo! Maybe we should just do that now. Let's see, I'd have to leave this band rehearsal..."

"Hugo, no! Besides, I'm still at school, remember?"

"You can't just say things like that over the phone! Shit, I need to get rid of this boner before my bandmates give me hell."

He laughed. "The reservation is this weekend, okay? I'll pick you up at your place. That work?"