Unbreaking Up

Varian stirred awake when a beam of sunlight hit his face. He reached out beside him, grasping at nothing.

Opening his eyes, he stared at the empty sheets for a moment, then sighed.

"Dream's over, Var," he said aloud. "Time to wake up to reality."

He took Hugo's pillow and cuddled it. It still smelled like him, just like the rest of the bed. How cruel.

Not even bothering to put any clothes on, he slumped out of bed, sliding on a pair of slippers before making his way to the kitchen.

He put a frustrated hand through his hair. What was he so upset about? He knew it was just a one-time fling. Hugo knew that too but oh shit, there was the couch they'd made out on. Sighing again, he patted the chair sacredly as he walked past.

Rounding the corner, he caught sight of a stranger standing in his kitchen, and gave an unholy screech, his hands shooting downward to cover his exposed goods.

A startled Hugo wearing nothing but a frilly apron jumped, nearly dropping the pan of scrambled eggs in his hand. "Holy shit, Var! Why are you screaming?"

"Hugo?" His face flushed, both because he was embarrassed and also because, well, Hugo's jiggly bits were out, barely peeking out from beneath the checkered apron. "I'm so sorry! I thought you'd left already."

Hugo put a hand on his hip. "What kind of man do you think I am? You thought I'd just shoot off my rocket then disappear in the night? That's just rude." He divided the eggs onto two plates that already had bacon and pancakes on them.

Varian came up, leaning on the granite countertop with a grin. "Guess I'm not used to hooking up with upstanding gentleman such as yourself."

"Obviously not." He handed him one of the plates after setting the pan down. "Here you are." It was such a beautiful image, this hot naked man offering him a homecooked meal while smiling so sweetly, especially after Varian's previous reminiscing.

"Thanks." He took the plate and stood on his tiptoes to give him a gentle kiss on the lips.

A light blush flashed over Hugo's cheeks as his fingers lingered over the bare waist. "Y'welcome."

"Did you sleep well?" Taking his food with him, Varian walked over to the table.

Hugo followed him. "Yeah, I mean, who wouldn't sleeping on a Purple Bed?" Before sitting, he undid the apron and tossed it aside. Varian tried not to ogle too much. "Didn't I tell you your bed alone cost more than my complex?"

He laughed, shoveling eggs into his mouth. "You did, yes—oh wow. Are you some kind of chef connoisseur?"

Carving up part of his pancake, the blond smirked. "You flatter me."

"Well, duh. It's delicious. Have you even tried it yet?" He took a piece of bacon, holding it up to Hugo's mouth.

He took a bite, allowing his lips to brush over Varian's hand, his eyes never leaving the blue ones. "I made it, didn't I?"

Varian watched him, putting the rest of the bacon in his own mouth. "So, what have you been up to? I know you dropped out of college like a year and a half ago to pursue music."

"Yeah, my band started getting really big and I wasn't getting much out of the degree I was doing."

"What was the degree?"

"Law school."

Varian choked on some eggs. "Wait, what?"

Hugo chuckled. "I know. Crazy huh?"