Just for Tonight

Varian sat at a beyond gawdy dining table covered in what he thought was the most grotesque of red and pink heart decorations. The finest of alcohols and pastries were lain about everywhere in a perfectly planned design. Not a single fork or tablecloth corner was out of place. 

The cursed Day of Hearts didn't usually bother him so much, but ever since his breakup with Andrew... He sighed, reaching for a delicate, mini layered cake.

Someone next to him swatted his hand.

"Seriously, Dad? It's bad enough I have to be here with the fucking cameras. What's the point of all this pomp and circumstance if I can't even eat anything?"

"Wait until they've taken pictures of everything, Honey," said a woman with red hair wearing a bright pink, sparkly tube top dress that revealed silicone stuffed cleavage. "The Day of Hearts is a big event for the press, especially for the Blanchet family."

"Wish I'd never been born a Blanchet," he mumbled, and his father elbowed him in the side.

"Be respectful, Son," the large man growled. "Millions of people would pay to be us, and they do." 

"Oh, that reminds me, Quirin, Honey." The red head gave a big fake smile when the cameras panned over to her. "Marphie wants to sponsor a new eyeshadow pallet for my makeup line this week, and I already agreed to be a guest star on the MittieTutorials WooTube channel, so I won't be able to make our obligatory live event date night this week."

He frowned, but not enough that any cameraman would be able to pick it up; just enough that Varian noticed it. "The press won't be happy about that." He sighed. "I suppose we'll make do. We are tried in these difficult times."

Varian rolled his eyes. "Do you two even hear yourselves?" 

Before his father could argue, someone with a microphone approached him.

"Varian Blanchet, only son of Ulla Blanchet," they said loudly, making him blink in annoyance, "how does it feel to be the most eligible bachelor in the seven kingdoms?"

He had a placid look on his face. "Fine, I guess."

"What have you been up to since your recent breakup with Andrew Cummins? People are wanting to know who you're dating now and if you'll be presenting them on this romantic day."

His face hardened. "It's literally been three months since the breakup. How fast and furious do people think I am?" 

They gave a big, fake laugh. "Our favorite Blanchet wants to give us a slow burn, huh? Tell me, was Andrew as bad of a lover as the rumors say, or was he right and you weren't ready for commitment?"

A vein on his head began to pop out, and thankfully, a pair of hands were on his shoulders then, lifting him out of his chair and turning him away from the reporter.

"Hey, Kid. Don't have too much fun without me." 

He looked up at his cousin, heaving a sigh of relief. "Eugene... thank the fucking stars."

The dashing man flashed the cameras a dazzling smile before taking him to a more private corner of the ballroom. "You're really in the hot seat right now. Did you know you made it on the cover of the Mewyork Lime's magazine? Just for breaking up with someone..."

"Yeah, I know. I'm literally not allowed to move on with my life." He sighed, reaching for a glass of champagne on a nearby table. His hand got smacked again. "Dude, really? I can't drink either?"

Eugene took his own glass, sipping from it smugly. "I won't support underage drinking."

"I'm twenty!"