Chapter 5: My Next Thirty Years

DEACON

"I think I'll take a moment, celebrate my age, it's the end of an era. The turning of a page. Now it's time to focus on where I go from here..." I share my thoughts with Maurin and Trace standing in a bare boned True Tone Records. "It's better than wallowing in self pity. What I've been doing for the last two weeks."

"Don't be so hard on yourself. Deacon. This time is trying for all of us. There's no reason to be wary of Harrison Nichols as of yet. You honored your commitments, performed on WSM for Grand Ole Opry, please try and enjoy tonight."

"But Harlowe..."

"What is it with her, son? I've never seen you like this when it comes to the ladies. You're slick and non-committal. If your itch gets scratched you're a happy camper. Forget the Nichols girl and focus on Maurin. She went above and beyond to give you a killer thirtieth birthday," Trace points out.

"I know, I'm thankful and looking forward to it, Momo. The Hermitage Hotel is an unbelievable fancy place. Its colorful history makes me realize it's a farewell party too. After tonight True Tone Records as we know it, will be part of history.

"Bless your empath heart, sweetie. I promise, Trace and I are doing alright. We're experiencing enough feelings, but we're choosing to look at all the positives." Maurin plants an encouraging kiss on both my cheeks.

"Like yourself, Alana, Tabby and Gale will climb on stage. We're giving the invited guests the best of True Tone once more." Trace smiles a sly smile.

"Would be my honor. You know that if you rope me in like this, I can't refuse, Boss. I'll gladly do it."

"Atta boy! I'll take the last of these golden records to my truck and I'll wait for you both."

The telepathy thing husband and wife share is quite scary. Momo waits until Trace has shuffled out of what once was the welcoming entrance to this musical treasure chest. I let my shoulders droop.

"The lights in your eyes still aren't dancing. Confide in me, Deacon. I'm here."

Needing comfort and warmth, I lock the woman I consider my surrogate mother in a bear hug, "I love you, Momo. I can't find the appropriate words to tell you how appreciative I am for all that you and Trace have done for me. Are doing for me. But, there have been numerous days where I thought I wouldn't reach the age of thirty..."

Maurin squeezes my sides while she tilts her head to look me in the eye unapologetically.

"I miss him every single day; his banter, the dimple in his chin and his god awful taste in music. On milestone birthdays like today a lot more though, I miss Shepherd."

"He'd be proud of you, DJ. So proud. You defied your parents to make something of yourself. What something that is... I'm  sure he's guiding you, watching you Applauding you for being strong enough to keep avoiding his pitfalls. Kentucky isn't only famous for the Derby and chicken anymore!"

"You know just how to lighten the mood, Mo."

"I love our hug sessions," Maurin says from under my chin. "But, we have to get a move on. Let's meet Trace outside and try to find Quentin."

I let out a barely audible huff.

"Oh come on, you two are such stubborn bulls. Young bulls, full of ego." Maurin shakes her head.

"We talked here and there. He's my brother, nevertheless things are a little awkward. We've done what we needed to do so you can tie up the last things that concern True Tone Records. All the manual labor didn't take away the sting."