The Watchman of the Underworld

Start from the beginning

"You mean like the one he housed in the mine at the stat of the school year?" Ace said, thinking back, making the girl nod.

"Now that you mention it..." Deuce trailed off, "Grim also scarfed down the black rock that fell onto the grass when Housewarden Riddle overblotted."

"But he didn't freak out back then. What's the deal with those black rocks, anyway?"

"I didn't witness any of these incidents firsthand, so this is purely conjecture...But I suspect those black rocks were blot crystals." The headmage concluded.

"What are blot crystals?" Shoto asked, tilting his head.

"I believe a quick refresher is in order. Overblotting occurs when a magic user accumulates more blot than they can handle. Blot, as you know, is a waste product of using magic. It is highly toxic and contains stagnant magical energy. During such incidents, blot manifests in the shape of the practitioner's darkest emotions."

"And when you wanna get someone out of an overblot..." The orange haired male trailed off, "...you gotta rip that manifestation away from them, right?"

"At least that's how we've gotten all the overblotters to return to normal so far." The blue haired male said.

Crowley nodded, "Just so. One must sever the link to the manifestation to free the magic user. My understanding is that when the manifestation fades, the condensed blot can crystallize."

"Seriously?" Ace said, eyes widen.

"Magestones themselves can form when magic flowing through the earth or air happens to crystallize. Blot is essentially magic runoff, so it stands to reason that it could solidify as well. Granted, I've never witnessed it personally. Overblotting itself is exceptionally rare...Hmm." He hummed.

""Exceptionally rare"? Tell that to the five guys who overblotted this year." (Y/n) said, deadpanning.

"Okay, lemme see if I got this straight. Blot is bad for people even in small amounts, and the black rocks are hyper-condensed versions of it, right?" The orange haired male said.

"Correct." The headmage said, nodding.

"Which means if someone goes around snacking on them, it's gonna mess with 'em."

"Grim went berserk because he ate those rocks...?" Deuce said.

"Bear in mind, this is all speculation. It's also worth remembering that while Grim can communicate with us, he's still a monster. Him going "berserk" may be his true nature. The second day of the culture fair is tomorrow. We cannot leave a dangerous monster on the loose, especially if he's already injured two people." Crowley frowned.

"Dangerous?! But this is Grim we're talking about!"

"Believe me, I've no desire to condemn him in such a manner. Monster or no, I gave him the benefit of the doubt and admitted him to this school. But we cannot ignore the possibility that he may no longer be fit to remain on campus."

"Hold on, what are you sayin'?" Ace said.

"Regardless, we must assemble the faculty and housewardens and capture Grim posthaste."

"Oh geez..." The blue haired male said.

"I had best be going now." He looked at the twins, "(Y/n), Shoto, do not leave this dorm." Looked at the other two, "Trappola, Spade, return at once to Heartslabyul. After all, they could mobilize any second..." He mumbled the last sentence.

"Uh, what now?" The orange haired male questioned.

"Oh, nothing. Gracious, there's no rest for the wicked..." He said, before leaving.