EPISODE 21: FAMILY MATTERS

SACRAMENTO, 2040.

Tracking down the base of the League of the White Tiger proves to be significantly easier than finding the Azure Dragons or Vermillion Wings. There's no need for costumes or convoluted maps through a maze-like hotel — instead, Ryan and Evie cross the street from their own offices to Daniel Chen's.

"Mr. Chen is just wrapping up a board meeting," the prim secretary informs them. "You can wait in his office for now."

The secretary leads them to a simple yet stately office that's clearly been modeled from the Oval Office, back when the White House still existed. Thick curtains frame a view of the tranquil gardens behind the White Tigers' premises and the mahogany desk looks older than Evie does. On their left hangs an oil painting of Yi Fan, Daniel's father and former leader of the White Tigers. His beady eyes stare into Evie's soul, and give the office a grimy feel despite all its splendor.

And underneath the portrait sits the notoriously ruthless man himself. Yi Fan nods in acknowledgement as they file in and lifts the sheet of paper he's working on — a crossword puzzle — as though to say don't mind me. Yi Fan claims to only speak Chinese, although it's been ambiguous if that's true.

"Hello," Ryan says tersely, remembering all too well the various run-ins Yi Fan had with the government when he was in charge of the White Tigers. Yi Fan flashes a humorless grin and returns to his puzzle.

"Colonel and Captain McNamara," Daniel greets politely as he swoops into his office. His jet-black hair is perfectly coiffed and suit impeccably-fitted. "To what do I owe this pleasure?"

Evie doesn't bother with the pleasantries. "There's been quite the terrorist activity lately."

Daniel's smile doesn't drop. "Ah, yes. Several incidents have impacted our construction contracts." He puts down his steaming mug of tea and sits in his armchair. "We've been monitoring the situation."

"And?" Evie asks.

Daniel laughs easily, slurping on his tea. Even the way he drinks his tea is so reminiscent of his frat boy days at Stanford. Evie remembers rolling their eyes at the man's photos in the tabloids, even though Evie'd only been in high school themself. "And? What do you expect me to be able to do?"

Evie and Ryan don't even bother exchanging a glance. They both know where this conversation is headed. "It seems pretty convenient that Left Behind always seems to spare your most expensive and far along projects," Evie says slowly.

Daniel raises his eyebrow. "I sure hope that you're not implying that we have members in Left Behind." His smile is tight, taking away from some of his boyish charm. "I know the White Tigers used to have a... reputation, but we've gone totally legitimate since my leadership. I don't tolerate any sort of illicit activities."

Evie wants to roll their eyes — as if the very real estate empire Daniel sits on isn't built upon his father's years of jacking rent prices and bribing politicians for government contracts. "Maybe not current members, but former White Tigers." Beside Evie, Ryan's hands are folded neatly in his lap as he stares off into the distance. That's how Evie knows they're doing a good job.

Daniel slurps more of his tea, his smile wiped off his face now. Yi Fan hasn't looked up from his puzzle, but Daniel looks at him for a beat as though his father holds the answers. "What former members do is none of my business. They're no longer members for a reason."

"Unless you're using them to monitor the situation," Evie says smugly. They've always hated Daniel Chen and everything he's stood for, so it makes it all too pleasurable to be able to make him squirm. The Evie that Ryan first met never could have done this. "Some might call that treason."