"Call me a pessimist if you like, but nobody dedicates their life to the murder of one man and then gives it up just like that."

"We came to an understanding, Jude. An incomplete one, mind you, as I fell into the lake before we could conclude, but his antagonism was built in ignorance. Some of that ignorance has now been dispelled."

"If you have faith in him, I'll try to do the same."

Dustin reached out to pat Jude's shoulder. "Your many doubts keep me keen, and they force me to be honest. I won't tell you whether to put them aside or not."

Jude smirked. "Heaven knows if I didn't distrust things for you, you'd be in a lot more messes than you already have been."

"That is certainly a truth."

Dustin glanced up to see the final stages of Cassie's operation taking place. With a couple more tugs and some muffled grunts from Paulo, she jarred the arrow out of place, handing it off to Kyle once removed. Then she made haste to thread a needle through the frayed skin and flesh. Cassie's fingers moved deftly to stitch Paulo's wound back together until it had been pinched into one thin line.

"All done, Sir Feliz." Cassie said, perhaps too cheerfully for the circumstances, "In a week or two, you should be as good as new."

"Thanks." Paulo muttered after spitting the belt out.

While Paulo sat up fully to reclaim his shirt, Dustin eyed the long scar spanning from his chest to his ribs. A wound he himself had inflicted on Paulo years ago, impossible to miss with even the most cursory glance. In a sense, the scar served as a symbol of an old rivalry, and of a feud recently ended.

"So this is all Tanuk's fault." Paulo said, probing gaze darting over Dustin's features.

"It appears so. All your life, he told you lies, and no little ones at that. For what purpose?"

"I can't even guess."

"I wonder if your father told him in no uncertain terms that he wished for peace between our houses, but Tanuk desired otherwise. For his agenda, perhaps it was more advantageous to use you as a weapon against his foes, no matter the cost."

"That wretch!" Paulo blurted out, "He stole my mother from me all these years and lied to me just for that? After all my father did for him, that's unforgivable treachery."

"Agreed. It was his influence, I'm sure, that persuaded you to turn down every offer of peace I gave you with such vehemence. He gave you an ironclad assurance it was I and my house who lied and betrayed those who relied on them, when in truth, the guilt for those crimes laid on him."

"What a twisted man...to think I once thought of him almost as my father..."

"As I told you earlier, we have a common enemy." Dustin said, "Having been close to him, do you have any insight on his intentions in the capital at present?"

"He has an Alcontean artifact in his possession." Jude chimed in.

Paulo's brow furrowed. "Oh, he succeeded in that, did he? I was apart from Tanuk on separate business for a while before we both came to this area. Though from experience, I know what he does when he takes new relics into his possession."

"What's that?"

"In order to unlock their power, he searches out the scriptures of their respective gods. He agonizes day and night until he finds a way to speak with them. Once, he told me an Alcontean would convince them more readily, as the gods expect ill intent from an Innutukian, but I have my doubts."

Kyle chuckled. "To a god, I'd imagine one sacrifice is as good as another. Doubt they're connoisseurs of spiritual devotion."

"I wouldn't know. But tell me, is it the Trump of Ibis he's found?"

"Indeed." Dustin said, "How did you know?"

"He's been hunting that particular relic down for several months now. Morale's been low in the ranks, but Tanuk claimed the artifact could remedy that problem. Morale or not, Innutuk will have men to fight for her cause."

"Supposedly." Kyle remarked, "When it comes to these gods, I only believe what I've seen."

Jude shrugged. "We have seen evidence that much of the myth surrounding their power is indeed accurate."

Dustin abruptly rose to his feet. "In any case, it would be in our best interest to defeat Tanuk before he unlocks the power of the artifact."

"Agreed." Paulo said, "And strange as it feels to say this, I want to lend you what help I can to accomplish this. I want him dead more badly than any of you do."

"Understandably so. Should you wish to be the one to strike the killing blow, I will by no means stand in your way."

"Only then will my soul be able to rest peacefully. My father's honor will be restored."

Dustin stepped over and offered Paulo his hand. "Then together, we will destroy a man who has been the troubler both of Monterayne and the house of Feliz. Can I rely on you to assist me in this endeavor?"

Paulo clasped Dustin's hand and shook it with vigor. "Most certainly. The traitor will fall to his knees before us, and we'll cut him down."