"I'm great thank you for inviting us into your cozy little home" she smiles with her dark pink lips, but it doesn't reach her eyes nor look genuine.

I plaster a fake smile on my face and answer her.

"You should thank Matteo, he's the one who insisted on bringing you" I say clenching my jaw. Rachel lets out a fake laugh, touching my forearm with her paws as she does so.

"So... It's just you and your mom tonight?" she asks walking towards the kitchen area where my mom removes the rest of dinner from the oven.

"We have one more guest, who will hopefully be here soon" my mom replies. Matteo gives her a confused look and there comes a knock on the door.

My palms become sweaty and mom smirks at me. I roll my eyes at this and quickly make my way towards the door before Matteo even has the chance to. My stomach is in a ball of nerves, anxious about Buck meeting Matteo.

I open the door to see Evan standing with a bottle of wine in his hands. He looks nervous as I watch his expression. His cologne instantly surrounds me and invades my senses. He's casually dressed in a shirt and some dark jeans.

"Hey" I greet with a small smile. He smiles, gently, almost unsure of himself.

I move to the side to let him walk into the house.

"Buck, welcome. This is my son Matteo and his friend Rachel" my mom instantly takes him hostage, barely giving him any time to breathe as she leads him to the kitchen.

"Girlfriend" Matteo clarifies.

"Hey, thank you for inviting me Helena" Buckley thanks as he hands the bottle of wine over to my mom who gratefully accepts it. He goes to shake Matteo and Rachel's hands.

Matteo raises a brow before casually sizing Buck up. Rachel smiles more brightly than before which I almost laugh at. Matteo and Buck are built very differently leading me to believe that Buck could easily defend himself from my brother if it ever came to that. Buck is more built and taller by just a few inches.

"Buck and I work together" I say in hopes of avoiding Matteo's third degree. He can be a bit intense when it comes to meeting the guys, I bring home to meet them. I don't blame him considering what happened with my ex, Noah.

"Oh, you're a firefighter too?" Rachel asks bashfully and I look to my mom to see her silently scoff.

"Yeah, I'm new at the 118. I started this year" Evan informs while my mom pours us all a glass of wine, a third one for her.

She then proceeds to hand us each one and I gladly accept.

"And how are you adjusting? I know it was a difficult adjustment for Lex." Matteo informs and my eyes widen at his words. Buck glances at me, a hint of surprise decorates his face before he replies. I ignore him and bring the glass up to my mouth, sipping at the red liquid.

"It's been great so far, I'm working with an amazing team, so most calls are good" he says nodding his head as he speaks confidently.

"You should head to the balcony, Lex and I will join you in a minute" my mom announces, ignoring the questioning glance I send her way as she shows them to the balcony.

I worry that Matteo might be too much for Evan, especially after the day he's had.

"What do you think about that Rachel?" My mother pulls me into the kitchen to help her with the food. I take another sip at my glass, needing every drop of liquor to soothe my nerves.

"I don't know ma, she seems okay" I say glancing over to the balcony every 2 seconds, curious.

"Mira don't worry, he'll come back in one piece" my mom smiles placing a warm hand on my wrist.