The Boy at the Apple Stand

Start from the beginning

Much to his chagrin or relief—Regulus isn't quite sure—James's mum comes to collect him, which is a whole drawn out affair. James whines about leaving his new friend, Regulus, and his mum reminds him of the people they must get ready to entertain at home.

His mum looks like a nice lady. She has a warm smile, and auburn hair that went to nearly her waist. She also wore beat up clothing, a headscarf that was fraying, an old dress that was faded, and sandals that were falling apart.

Regulus waved goodbye to the strange Potters he met that day. He didn't realize he would become more than just the boy at the apple stand in the coming years.

...

"Those Windermere peaks look like a perfect place to cry
I'm setting off, but not without my muse..."

The next time James Potter met Regulus Black he was full of excitement. He had bounded through the halls of his home that morning, his smile given a fresh reason to shine.

His parents chuckled at his behavior. It wasn't out of character, but it was over the top that morning. He blamed the stutter of his heart and fog in his brain on it being the first day of his second year. That much opportunity was sure to cause some to grow flustered.

He arrived at the train station eager to find his boys, and the brother of one of them. Sirius Black, Peter Pettigrew, and Remus Lupin—who was slower to accept it than the other two—were his heart and soul. He had written the three all summer, full of promises of late nights in the kitchens and ideas of new pranks they had to try out.

Brought with the new school year was a boy named Regulus Black, the younger brother of Sirius. James claimed to have met him before, but Sirius scoffed at that idea, it was impossible. With the short leash their parents kept them on, there was no way Regulus had had a conversation with a Potter.

When James's eyes fell to Regulus's, he thought no way my arse. Young Regulus could've just slipped away from their parents, Sirius none the wiser. Regulus didn't show any recollection of the event though.

Sirius "introduced" them.

James went along with it, allowing his signature grin to light up his features as he stuck out his hand to Regulus for the second time. He saw the corners of Regulus's mouth uptick, it was a fleeting second, but James couldn't not pay attention to the boy's every move.

Something about Regulus Black was eye catching, even as he told Sirius that he had no idea what James was talking about when he said they had met before. Sirius looked pleased by it though, clearly finding satisfaction in being right.

James blinked and the younger boy was gone, much like how he blinked at night and the sun replaced the stars.

"Was it just me or did he not like us very much?" Peter mused, his eyebrow furrowing.

Sirius sighed, running a hand through his hair. He did that a lot, so much that James was beginning to pick up on it. Remus said it made them look stupid. Peter thought it was cool.

"Oh, don't worry," Sirius reassured them. "He'll warm up to you."

...

"What should be over burrowed under my skin
In heart-stopping waves of hurt..."

Regulus Black did not warm up to James Potter. The latter wasn't sure why. He was full of smiles and laughter every time the two came across each other. What could he be doing wrong?