"Galdraormur!?" She squeaks.

"He's not at all like what our parents have told us, Hnoss. He is kind and respectful- and... gorgeous." You giggle.

"Gersemi, you strumpet!" She erupts into a belly laugh.

"Shut up!" You squeal, giggling along with her.

"Okay- seriously. Tell me about him."

"He's truly incredible, Hnoss. He listens to me... really listens to me. These flowers," You begin to pull the purple flowers out of your pack, and hand one to your sister. "He showed these to me. They are a variation that does not exist on Vanaheim." You fight back unexpected tears. "He respects my interests... encourages them, even. And his magic... gods, it's not at all like what mother and father warned us of."

"You sound like you're in love, sister." You meet her gaze once again, and are surprised to find tears resting in the corners of her eyes as she twirls the purple flower around between her fingers.

"I'm afraid it doesn't matter how deeply I feel for him." You hold your hand out for Hnoss to place the flower in. "He asked me to marry him right before I returned home, and I brushed him off rather cruelly. He must hate me for that. Besides- I need to be here with you."

"Oh no- hel no." She scowls. "You are not using me as an excuse to break your own heart."

"I refuse to be away from you right now, sister. It is my choice."

Before she can protest any further, one of the healers enters her room.

"Are you feeling alright?" She addresses Hnoss briefly before scowling at one of the screens connected to the soul forge.

"Great, actually. Why, should I not?" Hnoss attempts her usual light-hearted tone, but you can hear the genuine worry concealed in her voice.

"Your readings are showing a large spike in vCG hormones."

"Is that bad?" Hnoss sits upright.

"If anything, it's good... but it's unexpected." She manipulates the various wisps of light over the soul forge with a scowl. "I'll be right back."

"How is it possible to seem upset over good news?" Hnoss huffs the moment the healer is out of earshot.

"It seems you've been quite the baffling case for them... no surprise there." You wink.

The healer quickly returns with two others, who both begin examining the screen as well. One of the healers, the obvious elder of the three, turns to Hnoss to speak. "We'll need to do a percutaneous umbilical blood sampling to confirm these new readings."

Hnoss raises a single puzzled brow.

"They need to take a blood sample directly from the baby." You take hold of your sister's hand. "It's just a super fine needle that they'll-"

"And where did you study healing, miss?"

You immediately take the healer's tone and don't say another word.

Your sister shoots you a playful "yikes" face, the two of you hardly succeeding at stifling your giggles.

"We'll go ahead and take the sample right now if you're ready." The eldest healer continues.

"Will it hurt the baby?"

"Not a bit, and you'll only feel a small pinch."

Hnoss nods, squeezing your hand a bit tighter.

The healers complete the procedure quickly, and your sister handles it like a champ. As the last healer is about to leave the room, she pauses in the doorway. "Are you her sister?"

"I am." You smile.

"Your results from the tests we ran yesterday just came in a little while ago, if you'd like to come out front to see them."

"Oh. Yeah, sure... I should probably head home anyway. Lots to do tomorrow." You begin to gather up your things.

Hnoss reaches out to rest her hand on your arm while you're busy packing everything away. "Come back to visit as soon as you can, sister. I've missed you terribly, and I'm beginning to think you're my good luck charm."

You pause your packing to look her in the eyes. "I love you endlessly, sis."

"I love you endlessly." She smiles.

"I will be back as soon as possible. I promise." You give her a final, firm hug, secure your satchel over your shoulder, and follow the healer out of the room.

"I thought it best to give you these results privately, considering the sensitivity of their nature."

What?

"Oh... okay."

"You're pregnant, miss. About three weeks along, it seems."

"I'm sorry?" You're quite sure you haven't heard her correctly.

"The baby looks very healthy so far, a bit larger than usual at this point, actually- flourishing and strong. We won't be able to determine the gender for another couple months."

No... no... how is this possible?

Your mind frantically races through the events of the last few weeks. When did you last have your period? Shouldn't it be here right about now? Oh no. It should've come at least a week ago. You'd completely forgotten about it with all of the stress of Hnoss and returning home unexpectedly.

Oh, shit.