017. The Older Sister Befalls the Fate Of Mother

Start from the beginning

"You look truly beautiful. Visenya stands before me," Naenya smiled.

Rhaenyra let out a small laugh, but the forlorn look didn't take long to return to her eyes. 

Naenya's heart cried for her sister, but she couldn't do much to help the girl. The wound that cut her sister so deep, tore her open and bled her out, was a wound that only time could heal. While Naenya would eventually hold power over everything, she would never hold power over time. 

"Why are you causing yourself so much pain?" Naenya asked, placing her hand on Rhaenyra's cheek. 

"Me? It is not me who causes this pain," Rhaenyra said bitterly, her eyes closing slightly as she relaxed into Naenya's hand, "He has no use for me,"

An older sister would always turn into a mother for the younger sibling if their mother were no longer around. Naenya knew she had not only been burdened with the position of heir once her mother died and Viserys took Alicent as his wife, but she had also been pushed out of her seat as an older sister, a chair she sat in so comfortably, and forced into the thorn riddled and blood-soaked chair of a mother for her sister. 

So much had changed for the Targaryen sisters, and they had never been given the time to deal with it together. 

"Our father has everything he wants now. He has a son, and he has you as heir. He doesn't have any need for me," Rhaenyra said, her eyes glassy, "What if he makes Aegon heir? You've spoken of it so much. Aren't you scared he will discard you as he did me?"

Naenya gave her sister a sympathetic sigh, rubbing Rhaenyra's cheek with her thumb before retracting her hand. Rhaenyra was reaching out to Naenya, desperately wishing for Naenya to cry out with her. The bottle of despair was a bitter one, but it could be easier to down if there were someone to share it with. 

"You are heir to Dragonstone, Rhaenyra. He should have given that to me as heir, but he didn't. He gave it to you," Naenya said, both her hands finding themselves in Rhaenyra's once again. "You are our father's favourite. You always have been. If you took a dagger to his heart, he would forgive you as he bled out. And if you couldn't do it, he would hold the dagger with you. You are his life, his love, his daughter,"

Naenya gave Rhaenyra a reassuring squeeze of the hands as Rhaenyra gazed down at them sorrowfully. 

"If he could have, he would have made you heir," Naenya said, the words being the truest thing she had uttered, "But, if he had made a female heir that was also the middle child, I think Otto Hightower would have personally killed him,"

Rhaenyra let out a small laugh, the smallest of a tear escaping her eye. 

"He's wanted a son for years now and he finally has it. He's happy," Naenya said, shrugging her shoulder at the ordeal, "The novelty of it will wear off soon enough, and you will return to being the diamond of Viserys eye,"

A silence enveloped the tent, even the twins remaining silent as if out of respect for their aunt. 

Finally, Rhaenyra gazed up at her sister, "Do you not think yourself to be the favourite?"

Naenya let out a short laugh, her smile warm, "I know I am not,"

Author typing...

Naenya and Daemon are reuniting next chapter! 

Also, yes, I firmly believe Rhaenyra will always be Viserys favourite. He loves Naenya, don't get me wrong, but he adores Rhaenyra.