Part 21- Something's Going Wrong With My Baby

I'm in a bad mood because I watched an episode of Supernatural and they killed my favorite character, Castiel. They killed my baby in a trenchcoat. So if this chapter was shit, it was because of the writers of Supernatural.

Savannah's POV

Savannah!"

Kirk's panicked shout pierced my ear as I flinched at the sudden burst of light entering my eyes. I lifted my head, my eyes widening at the sight of everyone standing around me as though I died. I just lay there, frozen, until an iron grip closed around my body and yanked me toward him. All I could do was lie there, face pressed against Kirk's torso, while he engulfed me in a tight embrace.

"Are you okay?" His heart thundered beneath my cheek.

"I'm fine," I said hoarsely, too stunned to form a better response. I raised my head and gulped when I saw his expression. Concern lined his brow, but his eyes blazed and a vein visibly pulsed in his temple.

"Good." His arms tightened around me until I lost my breath all over again. "Now what the hell were you doing? I-I thought I lost you." He scolded, his voice quivering at the end.

"I..." I didn't have a good answer. What was I supposed to say? I was eye fucking Robbin Crosby then decided to shoot up with my friends?

"What the fuck happened?"

"I don't know. I just went blank." Technically true. Still, my stomach twisted at what would've happened had Kirk not been there. "Thank you for saving me, though I'm surprised you did." I attempted to lighten the tension blanketing the air. "I thought it is easier to leave me there than to call an ambulance and then rush off with the paramedics and fuck not."

"That's not funny."

"It's kind of funny."

"Not. Funny," Kirk repeated. He bit out each word like it was a bitter pill. "Do you think death is funny? Do you think it's fun for me to watch my wife almost die?" My smile waned.

"No," I said softly.

Kirk released me and helped me up, his expression like granite. "We're going home," he said flatly. "Who knows what trouble you'll stumble into if I leave you alone?"

I didn't object. I knew when to pick my battles. We drove in silence to my house, which was dark when we arrived. I stepped onto the porch and fished my keys out of my bag with a shaking hand.

"You've delivered me home safe and sound. Five stars for service, two stars for conversation," I quipped, inserting the key into the lock. "I'd give you one star on the latter, but since you saved my life, I'm being generous." Perhaps I should've been more serious, considering Kirk's mood, but when in doubt, I defaulted to sarcasm and bad attempts at humor. I couldn't help it.

A muscle pulsed in his jaw. "Is this all a joke to you, or are you really that oblivious?" he demanded. "You went college, so I assume you have some awareness of the world around you. So stop with the fucking act, Savannah. It's a play no one wants to see."

My spine hardened into iron. I recognized that tone of voice. It was the same tone he'd found out I was marrying James. The same one he always used when he saw me doing something he considered a bad influence. Sharp. Judgmental. Self-righteous. An angry flush scalded my face.

"What's that supposed to mean?" The front door clicked open while a hard, defensive note crept into my voice.

"It means you act all tough and unbothered when it's just that. An act."

Kirk took a step toward me. A tiny one, just enough for the tips of his shoes to kiss mine. The point of contact acted as a channel for his anger, which funneled into me and stoked the embers of indignation burning in my stomach.