ix. enraged redhead

chapter nine

chapter nine . . . enraged redhead

THE PARTY FELT OVERJOYED AT THE RETURN OF EL. It was a complete weight lifted off their shoulders knowing that their friend was alive. The first person to step forward was Mike. He practically threw himself over to the girl, bringing her in for a hug as the two cried in each other's embrace and exchanging sweet words between one another.

"Is that..." Steve muttered to Josie as she nodded in response. As he had gotten accidentally involved, even though being hesitant about it the girl had spent hours explaining everything that had happened last year, making the time Steve had barged into their hunt for the demogorgon make sense.

Eleven made her way around the group, giving everyone hugs as she finally felt relaxed in the presence of her friends that she was only able to see in the void for over a year. When she approached Josie, she was already being brought into a hug which was gladly returned, feeling safe in the older girl's embrace just like she had immediately felt safe in Mike's basement the first time they met.

"Hey, you're safe now." Josie mumbled into the crown of her hair, happy tears rolling down her cheeks. "You look badass." She took in Eleven's new punk look. It definitely suited her.

"Bitchin'." El smiled, wiping away Josie's tears. A blubbery laugh left her mouth as she nodded, "Bitchin'." She repeated, sniffling at how happy she was to see her safe and unharmed.

Steve watched their interaction, his soft gaze on Josie as he watched her be tender towards the young girl. The teenager watched as El looked over at him curiously. "This is Steve." Josie told her, watching him give her an awkward wave.

"Mouth breather?" El innocently said. She remembered Dustin spilling everything to her about Josie and Steve's hatred for one another, even though she understood nothing.

The Harrington boy furrowed his brows at the name while Josie chuckled. "Not anymore."

"Where is he?"

Josie's expression saddened at the question, "He's in his room." El simply nodded, stepping away from the group and made her way over to the boy's bedroom.

"Mouth breather?" Steve questioned.

Josie grinned teasingly. "What, is it bad?"

"It's what we call dumbasses." Dustin intervened in their conversation causing Steve to snap his over at him and Josie's eyes to widen. "What? It's true!"