ii. pool party gone wrong

chapter two

chapter two . . . pool party gone wrong

          JOSIE PROMPTLY DROVE ALL THE WAY TO THE WHEELER'S HOUSE, making sure to park a block away. She had no idea what exactly was going on but she knew Mike's parents had no involvement whatsoever. As she walked up to the house, clutching onto her jacket, she saw the three waiting outside for her.

"Are you guys insane?!" She whisper-yelled, trying not to wake up the whole neighborhood. "You don't bring a random girl back to your house. You shouldn't have been out in the first place."

"I know it looks bad, but she was lost and scared." Mike reasoned, "I think something happened to her."

"I'm telling you, there's something wrong with her." Lucas remarked.

The three boys lead Josie down to the basement, turning on the overhead light. Her eyes were met with a girl with a shaved head, innocently sitting under a pillow fort that looked newly made. Mike was right: she looked around terrified at her unknown surroundings. Josie's concern only heightened when seeing the rumpled up hospital gown on the couch folded up beside her.

"Hey, honey." Josie carefully approached her, not wanting to alarm her in her vulnerable state, noticing the girl's curious brown eyes staring up at her fearfully. "My name is Josie...what's your name?"

The girl proceeded to roll up her sleeve, revealing a small tattoo on her wrist that read "011". Josie tilted her head, double checking she wasn't imagining things. Clearly something weird was going on; not only was she found in the middle of the woods but she had a hospital gown and had a tattoo. "E-Eleven?"

"El for short." Mike chimed in, making the girl nod.

"Do you know how you got here?" Josie softly asked, the girl shaking her head in response.

The teenager noticed Eleven's chin starting to quiver and went to put a comforting arm around her only for Eleven to flinch back at the contact. "It's okay, you're alright." Josie cooed, giving her a small smile, "I'm your friend. You're safe here."

The young girl's eyebrows furrowed at the unknown word leaving the teenager's lips. "What is 'Friend?'"

"Is she serious?" Lucas mumbled under his breath.

"A friend is um—" She paused, trying to think of the right words. "Is someone you'd do anything for."

"You lend them your cool stuff like comic books and trading cards." Dustin added.