𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲

Start from the beginning

I made sure to stay behind the group, to keep them safe and keep Lori and the unborn child safe. I wasn't wasting bullets but I wasn't planning on saving many of them either. I could tell just how out of breath and tired the three of them were and I wasn't going to let any of them fall behind. It wasn't bad for us at first, we were perfectly hidden in the dark but then that sound came— that annoying, blaring sound of an alarm and it attracted the dead even more.

As soon as we turned a corner the woman we were trying our best to protect let out a grunt, leaning against the closest wall. Maggie held onto her hips, trying to keep her up.

"Can you keep up?" Maggie asks.

"Something's not right." Lori choked out, trying to keep the groaning to a minimum.

"Are you bit?" Carl questioned a little bit too loudly.

"No, no, no." The woman shook her head as she responded, turning around so her back could leaning against the wall. "I think the baby's coming."

"This cannot be happening." I scoffed.

"Mom?"

It was happening— she was having the baby and we had no one here to deliver it. We didn't have time to contemplate, a group of walkers were rushing toward us, so we went back the way we came from; with me behind them and Carl in front of them. The blaring alarm was making it hard for us to hear whatever was lurking in the dark, hungry for us. It was so loud that when I wasn't paying attention, I lost them. A wrong turn down the wrong hall and boom I was lost.

I had no time to turn back and try to find them because as soon as I made one wrong turn an entire group of walkers were barreling toward me, starving and craving my insides and flesh. I could only run.

The first unlocked room was where I barricaded myself; after banging on doors and pulling against knobs I finally found a door that opened for me. It was too close a call, a walker almost grabbed me by the shoulder just before the door closed on its arm. I slammed the door on it, pushing against the metal when the walker did the exact same thing. It was a push-and-pull war between us but in the end the walker was off without an arm and I was inside of a room— safe.

As I spun around with my gun aimed at nothing in particular, I let my eyes dance around the room, realizing that everything inside was fully stocked. All the products where were it was supposed to be which made absolutely no sense. It took me off guard for just a moment, my lips parting.

"Shit, this can't be real." I whispered to myself, lowering my gun. An amazed chuckle climbed up my throat and left my lips as a scoff, the air around me thickening.

I was inside a commissary; where inmates paid for things they wanted/needed, probably decorated their cells with. It was the perfect place to gather supplies, especially if it was stocked like this— with a few boxes in the back to spare. It was too bad I was trapped, without a way to get out or escape; it was also too bad I had no idea where I was.

This felt like Atlanta all over again; trapped with no where to go without the walkers coming after me, inside a small store with tons and tons of supplies, and... alone, again. It seemed to be fate, my fate, to end up alone and on the brink of death. It was always going to come back around to bite me in the ass.

Being alone made me think; it made me think about the past, the banging of fists against metal shocked something within me.

"Little Pig, let me in!" My dad shouted from behind the door, a soft laugh leaving his lips when he heard me giggling from behind it.