Flashback - A Hero; A Son

Start from the beginning

Dodging short distances wasn't effective enough once Bakugo set off an explosion. Todoroki was forced to take some damage and he grunted in pain before making a bigger distance. He shot Bakugo a darkened glare.

His tone was ill-boding,"Don't start a petty feud over something that happened years ago. If you want me to so badly, I won't hesitate to finish it. I'm getting tired of trying to be the rational one here."

Bakugo's voice was eerily quiet itself,"You seriously piss me off. I've put up with your pompous ass for years, acting like you're stronger and smarter when you barely understand what's happening around you. Even now, you don't get it."

The blond continued, his tone even more hateful,"You've always found a way to shit on me. My Sports Festival win, my rank, my damn personality. One of the things I could be happy about you having no contact with was (Name) and now you're chasing after her too. She's part of my life, jackass. It didn't take me rose-colored glasses to see her worth; I've seen it from the beginning. You missed your chance so back off before I make you."

Todoroki had a moment of shock. He hadn't said it, but essentially, Bakugo was threatened. The blond valued you more than he let on and the fear of losing you to Todoroki was the whole reason behind this fiasco.

For a moment, Todoroki wasn't angry. The two of them were practically the same; hell, Bakugo's earlier accusation of lashing out at a threat applied to both of them.

However, selfishness followed. Todoroki let Bakugo's final sentence simmer in his mind and gave him a blank expression.

"I get it. You don't want her to care more about me than you because it'll be another loss."

Bakugo's eyes widened but Todoroki took advantage of his stun to finish apathetically,"But your fear happens to also be my goal. If losing to me bothers you that much then leave. You won't lose what you don't participate in."

Bakugo stood unusually still at Todoroki's words for a couple of seconds. The first audible sound to come from him was a shaky exhale, accompanied with wide, unhinged watery crimson eyes staring directly at the floor. He muttered silently.

"I'm supposed to be the best...and you've been in the way each time. From the beginning.  All my goals...you've ruined, and the only accomplishment I had against you was her. Someone who you could've won but didn't. Someone who smiled at me no matter what and told me I was a winner", tears gathered at the corners of his eyes and he wiped them roughly with his forearm before growling,"To hell with you. I'm done chatting. We're settling this now, you son of a bitch, and I ain't losing!!!"

He didn't let Todoroki respond before launching a particularly loud explosion at him. It was too big for him to avoid so he summoned a sheet of ice to block, immediately blown to pieces but it did well enough in protecting him and Todoroki took advantage of the smoke and ice debris to manuever himself closer to Bakugo, landing a forceful kick with his left leg.

Bakugo grunted breathlessly but took ahold of Todoroki's leg and pulled it forward in an attempt to make him lose his balance. Todoroki saw right through it and summoned heaps of fire on his foot, injuring Bakugo's hands and the blond yelled in frustration as he let go.

He scowled,"Goddamn icy-hot."

Todoroki wasn't a sadist but for all he'd put up with from Bakugo, it felt good to finally have a fair outlet. He grinned.

Bakugo sprung upwards and threw a punch directly at Todoroki, which Todoroki rolled under and took advantage of the blond's wide open back to unleash a wave of flames. It hit Bakugo accurately and the blond winced as he landed semi-properly on the floor, pivoting and using his quirk to charge at Todoroki at a high speed.