17 | sister, sister

Start from the beginning

"Giselle Rowe. Jamari Daniels."

Any other time, the sound of typing is satisfying to me, but right now I'm shifting uncomfortably, watching as an employee rocks an infant to sleep through the large glass windows to my left.

"I'm sorry, I don't see your name, honey." Her perfectly manicured eyebrows pull together sympathetically and I stop breathing for a second. All the rage that I thought I would have is replaced by actual pain in my chest. I stare at the bright ceiling to keep the tears at bay.

Gabriella is really trying to write us off.

"Do you want to give Jabari's parents a call, sweet pea? Maybe they could come on down and check him out for you and add you to the list."

"His name is Jamari."

"Oh, shoot! Give me one second." She face palms, at her mistake and hurriedly retypes his name before breaking out into a genuine grin. "Ahh yes, Jamari Daniels. Head that way. It'll be the third door on the right."

"Thank you." I breathe, allowing my legs to carry me down the empty corridor before she can see the moisture in my eyes.

I peer through the slim window on the oak door and spot Jamari immediately. He's on his knees, shoving the designated blocks through a giant wooden cube. There's another child sitting beside him, doing the same thing with a matching toy.

Maybe my eyes are playing tricks on me, but he looks a little taller than I remember. Seeing him work independently around others makes me feel proud and sad all at the same time. Nephew is growing up. I gotta be around to see it.

Before I can even knock, the young caretaker rushes to let me in, grinning excitedly. The rubber bands on her braces are the same shade of baby blue, as the frilly scrunchy holding her ponytail. Miss Audrey's room is written on the board in bright green marker.

"Hi!" She chirps, pushing her glasses up her nose bridge. "Who are you here for?"

All of the children's heads snap towards me and Jamari's face lights up with recognition. He hops to his feet instantly, racing over. "Te-te!"

"Hey, pooh." I bend down and wrap my arms around his small body.

"Well, I guess that answers that, huh?" Audrey chuckles, walking over to a cubby and retrieving Jamari's things.

"Yes, thank you." I laugh, slinging his bag over my shoulder and we exit the classroom.

Okay, two points for Gab.

**********

Monday, November 14 | 6:23 p.m.
The Rowe Residence

-

"Alright, let me do it. You just keep missing yo mouth and feeding my floor." My mama laughs, spooning a decent amount of mac and cheese into her grandson's awaiting mouth. He hums, setting down the nearly skinned chicken leg with a clap of his greasy hands.

My parents didn't ask too many questions about Jamari's reappearance. They only expressed gratitude and excitement, mirroring the two-year old. I feel happy, no doubt, but the looming threat of what will happen at Gabriella's arrival runs through my thoughts every other minute.