"Uh... not really, Ma'am. I'm just confused, so I don't know what to say..." tinawa ko ang kahihiyang nadama.

Tumango ito, tila naiintindihan iyon.

"I know it's rather sudden and unexpected for you, hija. Believe me, it's the same for me. But first off, I don't mean to frighten you or anything, Ophelia." Baon niya pa rin ang munting ngiti sa kanyang mga labi nang pagmasdan ang pinaglalaruang kamay. "Let's say... I just want to get to know you more—not as a personality of Smitten, but..."

I was on edge when the Madam paused out of the blue. But before I could even blurt something, she raised her head to look me straight in the eye.

"But as someone's aunt... who's been dreaming of knowing what kind of person... the girl my nephew fancied the most," her voice croaked as she gasped for air.

Napaawang ang mga labi ko habang pinagmamasdan siyang kumbinsihin ang sekretarya na ayos lang siya.

Someone's aunt...

The nephew who... fancied me the most? Kumabog nang malakas ang dibdib ko. Para akong binuhusan ng malamig na tubig.

Could it be...

"I know how smart of a girl you are, Ophelia. After all, Tobiah's been boasting about you... when he was still with us. He talked a lot about you, hija..."

She... and Tobie? They were related all along? Napakurap-kurap ako.

How could this happen? She looked like she knew everything. She knew our story—my awful past! So I don't understand...

I studied her face and all I could see was adoration and longing combined. No hatred. No remorse or anything. After all that happened, she...

She accepts me...

"H-How... How was Tobie... related. I didn't know... I-I'm sorry..."

Napailing ako, hindi magawang maisatinig ang gustong sabihin. Nagkabuhol-buhol ang mga katanungan sa utak ko.

Sa pag-aakalang sapat nang napatunayan ko na tama ang naunang kutob ko, halos wala nang espasyo sa utak ko para iproseso ang panibagong rebelasyon.

My grip on the hem of my shirt tightened.

Huli na nang naramdaman ko ang paglubog ng espasyo sa tabi ko. Gulantang akong makita na tumabi ang ginang sa akin, bakas ang pag-aalala sa mukha.

"I'm sorry. Did I say something wrong? Are you still..." she trailed off, and then later on, hit her forehead lightly. "Perhaps, are you still uncomfortable discussing this with me? I'm sorry. That was selfish of me. I only thought about my own-"

"N-Not at all, Ma'am! I'm just surprised. That's all. You don't need to... apologize," tikhim ko bago ngumiti sa kanya kalaunan. "Besides, I should be thanking you..."

Unti-unti niyang binaba ang kamay kasabay ng pagkabura ng pag-aalala sa kanyang mukha. Napalitan iyon ng pagkalito pero mukhang nakumbinsi rin sa sinabi ko.

"Thanking me?" I could see a giant question mark above her head.

I nodded. "Thank you for reaching out to me first. I also... want to know more about him, Ma'am. Even if he's already away, maybe... I still want to have some sort of closure..."

Pahina nang pahina ang boses ko. Siguro dahil unti-unting lumilinaw sa akin ang mga sinabi ko, kung sino ang kaharap ko, at kung paano ako nauwi sa ganitong sitwasyon.

Was I too carried away?

Kabado kong nilingon ang ginang at sa hindi inaasahang pagkakataon, inabot nito ang aking kamay.