Chapter 11: Acquainted at Last

Start from the beginning

           Luigi slumped his shoulders and groaned; Mario snickered beside him. And so, they exited the Great Gallery and entered another room, where Luigi was also fitted into the awkward snowsuit. The brothers were handed supply packs filled with clothes, medicine, and other vital necessities. As they geared up, Peach informed them of their mission. The Koopa Army had been transported overnight, using Toad Town’s warp system; it was time-consuming, but they managed. Luigi and Mario would assess the damaged areas, which were mainly the gates and the eastern section of Snow’s capital.

Furthermore, the brothers were to write detailed progress on the repairs as well as Bowser’s behavior; if he causes any trouble, they were authorized to subdue him and could ask for aid from the local defense force.

           With instructions clear and ready to roll, the brothers returned to the Gallery. Luigi apprehensively approached the painting, feeling the familiar knot of anxiety. However, Peach quickly unraveled it. “Don’t worry, Luigi. This is much more pleasant than a warp pipe,” she said.

“Let’s-a go!”

            In his usual, devil-may-care attitude, Mario leaped through the painting. The green plumber bid the princess goodbye, sighed, and followed his brother.

.

.

.

Porca merda!”

            The arctic cold slapped Mario like a semi-truck. He landed on the icy ground softly, then immediately started shivering and rubbing his arms together. Dolce Madre de Cristo, it’s cold! He heavily underestimated the temperatures. Mario has to remember that Brooklyn never gets below zero. Mario stopped his teeth chattering and looked around, his breath hitching at the sight.

Everything around him was composed of undulating sheets of ice. Faint light streamed from above. Before him stood a winding path, blanketed by snow. White crystals illuminated the circular area. Mario gently took off his hood, mesmerized.

           It was beautiful. The gentle breeze blew through the tunnel, creating a soft whistle. Mario took a deep breath, relishing the crisp, clean hair. He has always wanted to go ice canyoning, but could never afford it. Now, look at him! Having the ice adventure of a lifetime and serving a royal family! Mario’s list of positives of their stranding just kept growing and growing. Visiting and exploring beautiful kingdoms? Gold. Helping citizens in need? Nice. Never having to worry about some landlord haggling them for money or living in crowded conditions? Hell yeah! Mario chuckled slightly. Yeah… perhaps that warp pipe breaking was a good thing, after all.

Suddenly he was interrupted by a girlish scream.

            Mario whirled around and saw his brother landing on his feet, knees together. Luigi shrunk into his snowsuit, cursing in Italian. The older twin burst into laughter. It’s hilarious to hear him swear as it’s so out of character for him. Mario raised his hand, “Ciao, Luigi!” he shouted. His voice echoed through the tunnel.

“Nope. No. Fuck this, I’m going back.”

           Luigi turned around and readied to jump, but Mario grabbed him by his backpack. “Come on, Luigi. We have work to do.”