standing up for your rival 101

Walking out of detention, I see a few people on the field practicing for the upcoming sports day. Curious if Vishal and Layla are a part of it, I take a look.

Vishal is slow-jogging around the field with a raspberry popsicle in his mouth. He is wearing a blue vest with black shorts. Layla catches up to him wearing a matching t-shirt and white shorts. She slaps his elbow upwards and the popsicle flies out of Vishal's hand and lands on the ground. A magenta puddle soaks into the orange ground.

"How long will you keep this up? It's not funny, Layla." Vishal rolls his eyes and picks up the popsicle stick.

"It is to me," she says, shrugging before taking off.

Vishal shakes his head and follows her but not before shooting a longing glance at his dead popsicle. When he falls into pace with her, he asks,"Why is your hair all tied up today?"

"Why do you care? Is your sadist alter ego disappointed that you can't pull my braid to trip me and make me scrape my face again?"

"I forgot that you are smart. Didn't actually think you would figure it out," Vishal comments. "Gonna take on the 400m race this year?"

Layla stretches her hands over her head. "That's not my thing, Vishal. Even if you dare me or challenge me to do it, I won't. You know what happened in eighth grade."

"You fainted, I get it. But if you win a medal in it, you could increase the chance of you lifting the overall championship trophy for girls," Vishal says. Layla narrows her eyes at him. "There is no ulterior motive behind my words. I was just saying."

"My chances of winning the trophy this year are already high. So I don't care about the 400m race. Besides, why do you even —"

"You know, it's hard to understand if you hate each other or love each other. Seems like there is a thin line between the two afterall," Omesh interrupts, joining them.

Vishal's face immediately contorts into that of disgust. Layla sighs and continues stretching.

"What do you want?" Vishal asks.

Omesh shrugs and hangs his palms in the air. "Just wanted to talk to you about something. About the overall championship this year."

"What about it?"

"I want you to give it up."

Layla snorts. "Desperate freak."

Omesh glares at her. "You mind your words."

Layla sticks her tongue out at him and goes back to bending down to touch her fingers to the ground. Vishal grabs her by the hand and pulls her up. "What the hell, Vishal?"

"Go stretch somewhere else," he bites out at her.

"What's your problem if I do it here?" She argues back, her hands on her hips. Omesh watches the banter.

"Layla, just listen to me for fuck's sake," he mutters into her ear, dragging her away. She shoves his hands off her.

"I'm staying, Vishal. You don't boss me around. End of conversation."

Vishal gives up but goes back to glaring at Omesh. "Why do you think I would give it up?" he asks him.

"So that you could help out a senior gain a little bit of recognition in this school before he leaves. It's not fair if the school remembers just both of your names. I should leave a mark too," Omesh says.

"You're kidding, right?"

"No, I am not, Vishal. You are in tenth grade. You are a kid. Listen to me and give me a chance."

"And you are mighty old and wise? Having two years on me doesn't make you my master." Vishal shakes his head and laughs quietly. "You know, if it was anyone else who asked this, I would have considered. But you? It's an easy negative. No way I would give it up to you, Omesh. You're an asshole."

Layla grins at Omesh to infuriate him more and it makes Vishal smile. Just a tiny bit but it's still there. "If you want it so bad, take it from me yourself. After all, I am only a kid, right? It must be easy to snatch it right off my hands."

Tense lines form on Omesh's face, nerves straining his neck. It's clear he wants to throw something at Vishal and Layla but he knows the consequences. He'll blow his chances of participating in Sports Day.

"Fine. I thought I'll save myself time and effort by asking you. If you want me to do it the hard way, okay. We'll see who wins. I'll see you on the field," Omesh says.

"You do know that by taking your so-called easy way, you lost the little self-respect you had, right?" Layla butts in. "And by begging Vishal to give up, you've already lost. You know Vishal is better than you."

Omesh steps in front of her and bites his teeth. "You shut the fuck up. You are so fake, do you know that? You pretend to hate him when all you do is push him to be better. It's because of you and your competitive little ass that he is at the top. If you back down, he will too. You just don't know it because you've never backed down."

Layla doesn’t even flinch. "I see that your mother tongue is bullshit. Can't speak anything else other than that, can you?" Layla taunts back, stepping closer to him.

Vishal breaks them up. "We'll see who wins on Sports Day, Omesh. Now leave."

Omesh regards them with contempt one last time before walking away. As soon as he leaves, Layla jumps back into their argument. "What was that about, Vishal? Ordering me to stretch somewhere else? Afraid I'll hear a senior beg you to give him a chance and realise how big of a star you are than me?"

"Can you stop it for one moment, Layla?" he says, turning around.

Layla doesn't. She roots herself in front of him with her arms crosses against her chest. "Answer my question and I'll leave you alone. You know I hate it when anyone bosses me around. But you did it anyway. Why?"

"Forget it." Vishal swerves around her to get ahead but Layla grabs his arm.

"Why?"

"Because Omesh is a pervert and he was looking into your top when you conveniently bent down and gave him a show!"

Layla's hand falls from his arm. She takes a second to let his words sink in.

"Satisfied?"

"Oh my god," Layla whispers to herself.

"That's why you shouldn't always be so big-headed and full of yourself. Sometimes, people tell you to do something not because they want to strip you of your free will but because they are merely looking out for you. Guess you don't know how to understand that. Now, move."

Layla does.

And Vishal walks away.