Ladder of Success

John and Adam were friends at school and loved by many because of their talents, but when they were together they always compete with one another. In all competitions, John consistently edged Adam.

Adam was perched on a ladder in his Grandpa's garage after school one day. He was anxious that he would fall short against John.

"Please help me, I want to beat John in the competition," he murmured.

Suddenly, a voice said, "I can help you!!!!" The voice frightened Adam.

He looked around. Soon after, he realized that the voice was coming from the ladder.

"You can climb up on me and make a wish from up top!" voice reverberating from the ladder.

He was curious about the voice. However, he made the decision to ascend the ladder. When he stepped upon the ladder, it began to rise to the sky. He climbed the ladder and made a wish from the top.

The following day, Adam outperformed John. Everyone admired him. Adam had a great day.

"My wish to ladder has actually happened!!!" Adam wondered.

The following day, Adam returned to the garage and made another wish. But this time he had to climb ladder with much more stairs.

Adam had numerous wishes as the days passed, and the ladder's number of steps grew in tandem.

Adam now needed to ascend above the clouds in order to make a wish. It was exhausting and frustrating.

He yelled angrily at the ladder "Why do you tower over the sky? I am unable to ascend towards the sky."

"You may make wishes that come true at the top of me, or instead of taking a short route like me you can work hard to achieve success," Ladder retorted.

Adam became enraged, hurled the ladder into the garage's corner, and left.

*****************************************************************************************

Adam's retirement day is today. He had a very successful career and was well-respected in society.

He visited the garage in the evening and took a look around. His old ladder was lying there. Although it has corroded, the tag "ladder of success" is still clearly visible.