The squaller went flying, spinning, and screaming, the tornado suddenly vanished and the Grisha fell with a loud thud and a scream. and with that, the ground went still, "Trust the Wraith and Z" said Jesper, cutting off the silence.

They stood, dazed, the air hushed after the chaos that had come before. "Wylan," called Jesper panting and pushing to his feet, "Get us out of here." Wylan nodded without a word and pulled a putty-coloured lump from his pack, gently placing it against the nearest rock.

"Everybody down." he instructed and everyond did as told.

They crouched together in a cluster as far away as the enclosure would permit. Wylan slapped his hand against the explosive and dove away, careening into Matthias and Jesper as they all covered their ears.

Nothing. What the fuck?

"Are you kidding me?” started Jesper about to turn and glare at the boy but then a boom echoed, startling him.

The slab exploded. Ice and bits of rock rained down over their heads, Wylan was covered in dust and wearing a slightly dazed, deliriously happy expression.

Jesper stayed silent and tried not to stare at the happy boy, Nina started to laugh, "Try to look like you knew it would work."

Kaz gestured to Jesper. "Perimeter. Let’s make sure there aren’t more surprises." And with that they set off in opposite directions.

Nina and the others found Inej standing over the body of the trembling Grisha first.

He wore clothes of olive drab, and his eyes were glassy. Blood spilled from the bullet wound in his upper thigh, and a knife jutted from the right side of his chest. Inej must have thrown it when she’d escaped from the enclosure. 

Kaz started making his way were they watched Zaria take care of the Squaller from before, she sat beside the Grisha with her hair covering her face, holding his hand and probably praying.

But no once he got closer he could hear her muttering apologizes, "saints, I am so sorry." She said trying so hard to hold back her tears, "I...it's o-okay..." whispered the squaller between gasps, blood suddenly spilling from his mouth and his hand dropping from hers.

She didn't even hear Kaz's steps, her ears were ringing and she focused on the man in front of her, the light left his eyes and his chest suddenly stopped.

Her hands trembled as she got up, running her hand through her hair, she took a step back and turned around, "Oh saints!" She exclaimed once seeing Kaz stand there and watch her carefully.

She death glared him before looking everywhere but his eyes, "happy?" She asked cutting off the silence, Kaz studied her for any kind of injury, "are you okay?" He finally managed to ask.

Zaria scoffed and turned her harsh look back to him, "really? Now you're asking?" She was now fully facing him, fury burning in her eyes, "I just killed a Grisha! A squaller under the effect of Parem! And you're asking if i'm okay?!"

Kaz listened not even daring to say a word, she was angry for almost 48 hours because of him, might as well take her anger out.

"And you ignoring me?! Calling me by my last fucking name, giving me the worst job, and plus is the reason why I couldn't sleep, wondering what I did that made you ignore me?!" 

She was full-on yelling, stepping in with each sentence to the point where their bodies almost touched, noses almost bumping each other and her eyes never left his.

Kaz swore he could see thunder in her pretty eyes, and he did everything he could to fight the urge of leaning and cupping her cheek so he could see if there were indeed strikes of lightning.