Prologue

The alley was damp from the afternoon shower that often came. No one was stupid enough to cross that street alone, much less enter it. Except for the occasional drunk man who would stumble his way inside the narrow passageway; they were fortunate enough to spend the night on cold concrete unharmed.

The street screamed 'back off!', but still lured a junkie into its midst. A figure clad in black stood stiffly against the brick wall, watching the man trip his way in the alley. They had their head down, watching their breath turn into visible fog. A shiver ran down their spine and they grinned maliciously, tilting their head back. They heard a fast rumble of a motorcycle, vanishing as quickly as it came.

A loud thump and the slight splash was indication enough. The man -a college boy, more like- passed out in the euphoria the high induced. They wanted to move swiftly and finish it as soon as possible.

In few long strides, they reached the man and knelt down beside him. They watched stonily, a hawk eyeing its prey. They kept two fingers on his neck, counting and calculating his pulse. The man seized up and rumbled. Their nose wrinkled in disgust, muttering incoherent words of malice and insult.

One, two, three, four.

They expected the elevated beating; it was brought by the high. They waited for him to wake up, and they knew his reflex action to grip their hand would happen in a few beats. They knew man as strong and defiant creatures. The boy wasn't any of the descriptions, so why should they treat him as one?

One fifty-three, one fifty-four, one fifty-five, one fifty-six.

One hundred and fifty seven.

They held the hands of the man which were raised in defense. Slowly, they stood up and peered over the person lying on the ground. Of course, they saw him as anything but human. They stared at him coldly, yet their eyes display a dwindling fascination with him as if he was a test subject. Ah, such pleasure it brings them.

A moment passed and his eyes flashed with fear. They smiled at him.

They never smile.

A slash, a hint of white, and nothing more.

The figure dissolved into the black mist. Most drunks who slipped in the alley way were fortunate enough to get out alive.

The man wasn't.