Chapter 16: Welcome to the Modern World

Start from the beginning

Mallory and I chuckled.

"Alright so to my parents house?" Mallory asked.

I nodded.
"let's go."
I turned with Mallory to leave her room.

"I'm afraid 3 people won't fit on my broom". Sarah said as she followed us downstairs.

"That's ok I have a car". Mallory replied

Sarah furrowed her brow "A car?" She questioned clearly confused.

Mallory smiled and motioned for her to follow. We walked to a door just outside the kitchen. Mallory opened it revealing her silver 2008 Honda CRV in the covered carport connected to the side of the house.
She smiled and motioned her hands towards the vehicle.

"Tada! My car". She exclaimed.
Sarah stared at the silver SUV before turning to us and saying "Oh tis like a bus."

"You know what a bus is but not a car?" Mallory asked incredulously as she grabbed her keys off a wall hook.
   I furrowed my brow and cocked my head in confusion and looked at Sarah.

She shrugged "My sister's and I road a bus in 1993".

We accepted her answer and all made our way to get in the car.
   She told us about the "charming" bus driver they met that night and their "abrupt parting" when Mary smelled children and they had to quickly get off.

"I bet it was Larry." Mallory laughed as she turned the key in the ignition.

"Who's Larry?" I asked.

Mallory put the car in reverse and started backing out. Sarah looked around in total bewilderment.

"He's this perv that's been driving buses around here for like 30 years." She said with her body turned towards the back so she could see where we were going.

"He flirts with anyone that has a heartbeat and a vagina".
I laughed. I think I missed Mallory's humor the most.
Once the car was backed up to a certain point, Mallory shifted to drive. She paused for a moment to plug the aux cord into her phone.

   "Time to Pretend" by MGMT came blaring through the speakers. Sarah jumped and began whipping her head around looking for the source of the music.

"What's that sound?!" She asked.
I quickly turned the volume down a bit.

"It's called a radio" I informed turning back to look at her from the passenger seat.
"It plays music. Remember it's been 320 years. That's a long time."
Sarah took a deep breath and nodded.
"Right."
   We pulled out of the driveway and drove off down the road. Both Mal and I quietly sang along to the song. I periodically looked back at Sarah as she curiously stared out the window. I can't imagine how crazy Salem must look to her now.
   Just as we turned onto Main Street , Mallory suddenly hit the brakes.

"Shit it's your mom" she cried and yanked my arm down.
    I quickly slid as far down in my seat as I could to where I could just barely see outside. My mother, who was clearly stoned off her ass, came stumbling down the sidewalk toward us. As Mallory passed her, she raised a hand to wave but, like the lovely woman she was, my mom lifted her middle finger up at Mallory as the car drove by.

"Nice" Mallory stated sarcastically.

"She's a charmer" I replied as I pushed myself back up in the seat.
"She was probably too high to even know who was waving at her." I added.

Mallory shook her head. "Clearly"

I once again looked back at Sarah who was looking behind her towards my mother. She looked back at me and furrowed her brow.

"Tis thy mother?" She asked

I nodded "Unfortunately".

Sarah scrunched her face up in disgust. I giggled and turned to face forward again.

A few minutes later, we finally reached my Aunt Lisa and Uncle Mike's house. It was a sky blue house with white trim that fit in perfectly with the style of houses that that surrounded it.
    Once we were parked, Mallory and I opened up our doors and got out.
   A tall blonde woman, no more than a few years older than Mallory, came walking down the sidewalk. When she saw Mallory, she smiled and waved. Mallory smiled too.

"Hey girl!" Mallory greeted.
When she had passed I opened Sarah's door for her.
I turned to speak to her but her eyes were locked on the woman as she continued her was down the sidewalk.
I furrowed my brow and followed her gaze. I had no idea who that was but Sarah clearly did. Mallory looked at us in confusion.
"What?" She asked

"Who was that?" I asked her.

"Uhh her name is Dani. I work with her. Why?"

"Dani" Sarah hissed in contempt.
"How do you know Dani?" Mallory asked her.

"Twas one of the children who prevented us from success that night in 1993." She explained her eyes still fixated on her as she got further and further from us.

Mallory looked at me with raised eyebrows.
"Ah shit" she said.

"Winnie was determined to kill her first that night because she called her ugly." Sarah continued.

"Well she's like 27 or 28 now so I don't think her soul will do anything for her." Mallory replied.

"Yeah, let's just forget her. She's not what's important right now." I said.
  Sarah's eyes narrowed a bit as she continued glaring down the road. She then looked at me and nodded before getting out of the car.
"C'mon" I said using my arm to signal for her to follow us.
We entered Mallory's parents house and went straight upstairs to one of the guest rooms where her mom had clothes she didn't wear anymore hung up in the closet.
We found some sweaters and pants that we thought were suitable for Winnie and Mary and before long, we were back on the road to the Sanderson house.