scene one

"Who's there?"

Matthew was annoyed. There hadn't been a single demon attack in a year, yet all of a sudden there was one. Some warning would have been appreciated. Maybe he wouldn't've worn his best waistcoat, if he did know. So, when he felt someone's presence appear behind him, a thought of worry for who it might have been did not cross his mind. (he had more important thing to worry about, such as the dismal state that his waistcoat was currently in)

"Looking as wonderful as ever, Matthew," a soft, yet confident voice stated. Matthew knew exactly who it was – Willow Herondale. His parabatai's younger sister. Who was currently supposed to be... well, he didn't know where, but he did know that she wasn't supposed to be standing in front of him.

"Why are you here?"

"Hi Willow! How are you? " Willow replied, mocking Matthew's dramatics. "Hello Matthew! I'm well, thank you for asking! How have you been, Matthew? I can't imagine you could be doing great, seeing as you haven't been blessed with my wonderful presence at all today."

Matthew didn't respond.

She took a few short steps towards him, pulling out her clean handkerchief attempting to help him clear the ichor from his hair. "Perfect," she whispered, before turning away from him, and walking towards her brother and two cousins. Leaving Matthew staring at the space which she had just occupied seconds before.

"... was also the most disgusting? Ours is not to question why, Christop- Willow? What are you doing here?"

"Indulging in my favourite pastime, dear brother: annoying Matthew Fairchild," she declared with a small smirk appearing across her face. "However, it seems that something more interesting is going on, wouldn't you agree?"

"This is an outrage," Matthew said, entering the discussion and stepping forward to stand next to Willow. "Do you know how much I spent on this waistcoat?

"No one told you to go out patrolling for demons dressed like an extra from The Importance of Being Earnest," said James, tossing him a clean handkerchief.

"I don't think he's dressed like an extra," said Thomas, who had turned to make eye contact with Willow, who – unbeknownst to Matthew – was trying to stifle a laugh.

"Thank you," said Matthew, bowing slightly.

"I think he's dressed like a main character." Thomas stated, as Willow released her laugh and took a few steps over to where he was standing next to Christopher, helping him clean up.

Matthew, once again, mopped at his golden hair. "This is the first time in a year that we've patrolled and actually found a demon, so I'd supposed that my waistcoat would probably survive the evening. It's not as if any of you are wearing gear either." The lack of demonic presence on the streets had made them all a bit lax about rules, hence why none of them were wearing their usual gear.

"Technically, I wasn't even supposed to be here..."

"Stop scrubbing at me, Thomas," said Christopher, windmilling his arms. "We should go back to the Devil and clean up there."

As they all started to make their way back to the main street, Matthew and Willow fell into step beside one another.

"So, if you weren't supposed to be here, where were you supposed to be?" Matthew asked, once they had fallen into a comfortable walking pace with each other.

"Why do you want to know?" Willow responded, not making eye contact with Matthew, who looked towards her. With a sigh she continued, "I was at Anna's. She insisted that I visit as soon as possible." Before Matthew could inquire more they had arrived at the Devil Tavern.