Unexpected Friendships ∼ 20

Start from the beginning

He blew gently into her eye, using his thumb to wipe away the tears that were accumulating on her cheek.

"You have no idea what you are doing, do you?" she sighed, her injured eye blinking uncontrollably due to the discomfort.

"Not a clue." He smiled cheekily, "There we go, all better." He dropped his hands from her face, spinning her around and guided her back towards the pod, laughing as Tcelia grumbled that it was most certainly not better, and that it was lucky that Neteyam hadn't been born a girl, because he would have made a terrible Tsahik.

---

"I wish I had been there!" Kiri said excitedly, eyes huge with wonder, "The ocean has blessed you with a gift, brother."

Ao'nung shook his head in disbelief, "The tulkun have not returned yet, and anyway no tulkun is ever alone."

The kids had gathered by some of the pools that were closer to the beach, but on a patch overgrown with plants that, painfully, reminded Tcelia of the forest. Here, Lo'ak had recounted his story to them.

When Ao'nung had left him at three brothers rock yesterday - Tcelia had glared at Ao'nung who had seemed to find a crab that was scuttling by his feet, very interesting, as Lo'ak had begun to explain what had happened - an Akula, a huge, hostile sea creature, had attacked him.

Tcelia had felt faint as Lo'ak had described, in great detail, how he'd had to weave through coral reefs, dodging the large creature's teeth. She had grabbed Lo'ak's hand as he told how he had panicked due to lack of oxygen and was forced to try and swim to the surface. It reminded her of when Ao'nung had held her under the water a few days ago. Had she mentioned how little she liked Ao'nung?

As he had swum towards the surface, the creature had discovered him and Lo'ak had thought he was done for, drawing his knife in a last feeble attempt to stand his ground, but suddenly a tulkun had come to his rescue, saving Lo'ak and killing the creature. They had spent the entire day together and Lo'ak had lost track of time. Tcelia thanked the tulkun silently.

"This one was. He had a - a missing fin. Like a stump on the left side." Lo'ak explained. Tcelia shot Neteyam, who was sitting to her left, a worried look as she saw the Metkayina children widening their eyes at Lo'ak's description of the tulkun.

"Poor Tulkun." Sweet Tuk said, concern evident in her voice, completely oblivious to the fact that the Metkayina were shooting each other nervous glances.

"Payakan," Tsireya said, "it's Payakan."

Kiri and Tcelia shot each other curious glances. "Who is Payakan?" Kiri asked no one in particular.

"A young bull who went rogue, he is outcast, alone. And he has a missing fin." Rotxo looked around at the group. The Metkayina all seemed familiar with the story, and all seemed to agree that Payakan was someone to be feared. Tcelia's stomach sank. She squeezed Lo'ak's hand encouragingly before letting go.

"They say he is a killer," Tsireya uttered, looking at Lo'ak.

"No." Lo'ak murmured to himself disbelievingly, furrowing his eyes.

"He killed Na'vi and other Tulkun," Ao'nung looked around at the group, having their full attention, "not here - but far to the south."  He was leaning against a palm but bent down as he spoke, trying to level with Lo'ak.

Tcelia eyed him suspiciously. He had been acting differently since yesterday. Even after his apology to Tcelia some days ago, he had been acting smug, but now... now he seemed sincere and open in a way that Tcelia didn't know what to make of.

"No. He is no killer." Lo'ak shook his head and Tsireya took his hand in an attempt at comforting him.

"Lo'ak, you are lucky to be alive." She urged him to understand.