Chapter 2

If you like the story, please consider giving it a vote. Thanks! Amber

I was barely out of bed the next morning when Ashton began texting me, asking me what I wanted to talk to him about. I texted him that I had just woken up and would be over in a few hours. Besides, I had to think of what I wanted to say to him. I went downstairs to find the house empty. I walked into the kitchen to get myself something for breakfast when it hit me that Mom was probably out with Ashton's mom. I couldn't believe I'd forgotten she was out to coffee with Elizabeth. They went out for coffee every Sunday morning to catch up on their gossip and bitch about whatever was pissing them off at the time. 

"Gemma, are you awake? I got you something for breakfast." 

"I'm in the kitchen." I hollered, sticking my head out of the kitchen. 

"Don't fix anything," Mom said, walking into the kitchen, carrying a plastic bag. "I got you a waffle with strawberries, bananas, and whipped topping." She pulled a square black takeout box out of the plastic bag. She set the box in front of me on the counter, then turned around to grab a fork out of the drawer. I sat there gazing at my mom for a minute, wishing I'd gotten her long, dark blonde hair instead of my dad's brown hair. I even had my dad's skin tone, which was a little darker than my mom's. I was thankful I took after him in that department because, no offense to my mom, but for living in Santa Monica, she was paler than most. 

"Thanks for the waffle," I said, opening the box; the sweet aroma of vanilla tickled my nose. I closed my eyes for a brief minute, enjoying the sweet, sweet smell. "After I eat, I'm going to get ready, head next door to get Ashton, then we're going for coffee. Is that okay?" I took a bite of my waffle with a strawberry and banana. "Oh, my god, this is so good." 

"I figured you'd like it." Mom smiled, getting herself a glass of water. "I got it at that new coffee place that opened up a couple of months ago. I forgot the name of it...Give me a second to think of it." Mom placed her finger and thumb on her nose like she was pinching it. "It's called...Sweet Escape! That's it." She smiled as she started to head out of the kitchen. "You should go there for coffee with Ashton. Wait a minute...Why are you going to coffee with Ashton?" She turned around; her brows furrowed, and confusion filled her eyes. 

"I have to talk to Ashton about something, and I thought we could get some coffee while I talked to him." I took another bite of the delicious waffle. 

"Oh, okay," She said, still looking confused, but she wasn't going to press me for answers to satisfy her confusion. She left the kitchen, leaving me to enjoy the rest of my waffle. I finished my waffle ten minutes later, cleaned up my mess, and ran upstairs to get ready because Ashton would be texting me within the hour, wondering what I was doing. 

                                                                                        *****

I took one last look in the mirror, grabbed my phone and purse, then headed downstairs to tell Mom I was leaving, and I'd be home later. I grabbed my keys from the bowl in the entryway by the front door. 

"I was about to text you," Ashton said, walking out his front door, wearing khaki shorts, a t-shirt, and a short-sleeve buttoned shirt. 

"Sorry. Mom brought me home breakfast from that new coffee shop. I thought maybe we could go there and get some coffee." 

"Okay, but I'm driving. I don't trust your driving yet." He raised an eyebrow, unlocking his car. 

"What's wrong with my driving...Mr. Rev my engine; any chance I get?" I pressed my lips together, crossing my arms. 

He sighed, rolling his eyes. "Sorry. Let me put it this way...I've been driving six months longer than you, and the new coffee place is in a busy part of Santa Monica. Do you really want to drive through it?" 

I hated when he was right. I turned my head, mumbling, then turned back to face him. "Fine." I opened the passenger side door. 

"That was hard for you to admit, I can tell." He laughed, opened his car door, and slid into the driver's seat. Ashton knew our parents were up and listening, so he eased out of the driveway and halfway down the road. Once he knew we were far enough away, he stepped on the gas, bringing the engine to life. Not only was he popular and good-looking, but he also had a sports car. Ashton screamed typical teenage movie heartthrob. I used to look over my shoulder, expecting to see a movie camera rolling and a director yelling cut whenever we were together. As for me, I always ended up being the nerd. In all teenage movies, the good-looking guy has a nerdy girl for a friend. Well, that all ends today. Hopefully, with Ashton's help, I'll be going out more on the weekends and have a date for the Spring formal at the end of the school year. 

"The new coffee shop is called Sweet Escape. Our moms went there this morning for their Sunday morning coffee ritual," I said, looking out the window as we zoomed along Santa Monica. 

"Is that where that waffle came from?" Ashton asked, keeping his eyes on the busy traffic. 

"Your mom got you one too?" 

"Yes. It was the bomb. What kind did you have?" He peeked over at me, then shifted his eyes back on the road. 

"I had strawberries, bananas, and whipped topping on mine. What kind did you have?" 

"Mine was like a S'mores. It was so good." 

"That sounds amazing." 

"Okay...Enough of the small talk, Gemma. What do you really want to talk to me about?" He turned to look at me, then quickly turned his head back to the road. 

"I need your help with something. You've got to promise you won't laugh. When I ask you." 

"Just spill it..." 

"Not until you promise me you won't laugh." 

He rolled his eyes. " I promise I won't laugh. Now, tell me, damn it." 

I took a deep breath in and closed my eyes for a brief second to find we were getting ready to pull into Sweet Escape. "I need your help with something. I can't ask Chloe, Sarah, or Ava because they aren't popular like you. And you're the only person I know that's popular that doesn't make fun of me. Well, you do make fun of me, but not viciously." I peeked over at him as he parked the car. He pushed the button to turn it off and sat back in his seat, resting his head in his hand. 

"What do you want me to do?" He asked, with so much confusion in his eyes. 

"I want you to help me become popular so guys will like me and start asking me out on dates, so I'm not sitting at home alone every weekend." 

"What?" His eyes widened, and his eyebrows raised. "You want me to help you become popular so that guys will ask you out?" His eyes narrowed. 

"Okay...maybe not popular, but can you help me with the guys?" 

Ashton closed his eyes, shook his head in disbelief, and then got out of the car. "Gemma, why do you want to date so bad?" He closed the driver's side door. 

"I get tired of being home alone every single weekend while everyone is out on dates and having fun." I walked around the car and stopped in front of Ashton. "Please help me." 

"Why can't you ask Chloe, Sarah, or Ava?" 

"Because they aren't popular, and they wouldn't understand because they've had boyfriends for the last two years. So, will you please help me?" I batted my eyelashes at him, sticking out my bottom lip, trying to look pitiful. 

"You look ridiculous doing that." He laughed. "I'll help you on one condition...You can't fall in love with me." 

My nose wrinkled, and my eyes narrowed. "Uh...That won't be a problem." I smiled, walking past him.