From the Ashes: Chapter Six

Peter paces on the porch, restless from the panic he sensed when the SUV crossed the wards. He needs to shift but he also knows he can't just run out there. He doesn't want to terrify his son even more.

Cora, Jordan and Malia pull up and the sight of a shattered window makes him growl as his eyes flash crimson at his betas. "What happened?" he demands, barely refraining from fully shifting.

The three betas bare their throats, pacifying him and Cora whimpers. "He ran. We had just gotten past the wards when-"

"Of course!" Peter says face palming. "He's a spark. Of course he sensed the magic." The alpha sighs trying to reign in his wolf before gesturing to the pack house. "Get inside and check on her. Please?"

His daughters nod and scent him as they walk inside. Jordan watches the alpha and his eyes flash orange. "I'm going to come with you. He's not alone."

Peter blinks. "What do you mean?"

Jordan almost smiles. "He's got his mate."

"Mate? He's mated?" Peter whispers followed by a mournful whine. "My son is mated, and I wasn't there for it?!"

The alpha shifts and paces snarling with his eyes locked on the trees. He throws his head back and howls.

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

The anguished howl carries through the woods and reaches ink black ears which causes the kit to stumble and fall head over heels ending up upside down at the base of a tall tree.

A dark gray wolf finally catches up to the kit and nuzzles at it. The fox yips and nuzzles at his mate as his breathing slows down the longer he breathes in the wolf's scent.

Both shifters startle when they feel something caress their fur. Stiles snarls and claws at it only to freeze and flash his eyes. Nemeton.

All the fear, tension and terror vanish from his body as he slumps to the ground exhausted. He's safe here. Mother Moon is watching over him. The fox curls into a ball tucking his nose under his tail and he quickly falls asleep. He doesn't even stir when the wolf, uncertain of his welcome, curls around him wary about the seemingly sentient tree but if his mate doesn't question it then he won't either.

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

Hours pass and the moon slowly rises full and clear. There's a rustling of leaves nearby as a figure approaches the clearing with glowing eyes. The Nemeton welcomes the figure and gently rouses the two shifters.

Stiles immediately tenses at the new presence and stays stone still, while Isaac whines and nips at his scruff.

"Don't be afraid. I won't hurt you. I could never hurt you," the figure says quietly and takes a step forward into the clearing the light of the moon caressing their skin.

Silence fills the clearing, except for harsh pants and a racing heartbeat belonging to a little black fox kit. It can't be her. There's no way but oh how he wishes it was her.

"I've missed you Mischief."

Whimpers and whines of pain come out of the ink black snout even as three tails flick out in warning. Not real. She's not real. This isn't real. It's a lie. You're still at the asylum and it's all been a dream. The fox glances at Isaac. Is he just a dream too?

A rotten scent builds around them filling the clearing and Isaac growls hating the way his mate smells when he's upset and scared. Then static crackles and a ring of white fire surrounds them trapping the woman, the wolf and the fox within it.