"Disappointed, the child turned around, and found herself face-to-face to an angry old woman. She realized that she had found the home of the mother of the dragon, the evil witch who has lived at the center of the forest since time began.

"The girl felt no fear, however. She knew that above all else, witches fear steel, so she drew her little dagger to protect herself.

"The woman surprised her by immediately running away. The girl had expected the witch to attempt to cast a curse or two, but she had simply fled. Delighted with her victory, Le—the girl shouted and gave chase. The witch did not get far.

"Her hair, long and matted, almost completely obscured her eyes and impeded her flight. Unable to see much in her path, she soon tripped and fell.

"When the girl caught up, she expected the witch to roll over and fight, but she didn't move. She had been knocked unconscious. Knowing it would be dishonorable to stab her in the back, the girl sat down beside the woman, and waited for her to wake up.

"While she was waiting, the girl noticed many things. The witch's grey hair had not been cut or brushed in a very long time, her dress was in ancient tatters, and the only clean spots on her face were the tear tracks through the grime.

"So when the old woman finally roused and looked up at her in terror, the girl did not threaten her. Instead, she—she offered to brush her hair.

"Her kind heart soon won over the lonely old witch, and they became fast friends. The girl helped to take care of her isolated cottage and watched after her. In return, the woman taught her the secrets of the world, including how to speak with the animals, and the secret language of the dragons, which had long been thought lost.

"The years began to pass and the little girl g-grew into a beautiful young wo-woman, but she still continued to visit her friend nearly every day."

Overcome by the empty pain in her chest, Cassie put her palms flat on the ground. Tears continued to slide down her cheeks.

"Don't—don't you want to know what happens next?" Her voice caught in her throat. "I do."

A sweet breeze ruffled the trees and brushed past Cassie. A voice answered her.

"She goes on many adventures, winning over her enemies with her loving heart, and conquering the dragons with her ingenuity and courage."

Twisting her head, she saw that James was behind her, holding a bouquet of peonies. He bent and put them in front of the garland Cassie had left.

"Wrong," Cassie said with a sniffle. "Not even the dragons could bear to do her harm."

"I don't recall giving you the day off," he said, trying to smile. He settled down on the ground beside her.

"I—I had to see her."

"These were always the best days, weren't they?" he said.

She knew what he meant: the three of them out here, with the flowers and the breeze, and the stories.

She flinched away from his hand as he reached towards her, but he simply captured a strand of errant hair. It was beginning to grow out, the curls standing in every direction.

"She liked the braids," she said by way of explanation. "I—I wanted—"

He nodded.

"I should have known better. This curse—the darkness ruins everyone around me." She should have left Telyre long before it came to this. That even Leora had paid the price for her fear...how was she to live, knowing that? If she still had hair long enough, she would have torn it out by the roots.