Chapter 1: Reunited

The sun was beaming distractingly bright; it made seeing the roads and sidewalks difficult as the citizens of Felis went about their busy mornings. It tends to have that effect this time of year. The streets were flooded with cats of all sizes, and the roads were shut down as cars would become dangerous due to overpopulation. The ground was hot, but not too hot.

"Come on, Voli! We're gonna be late!" Mizli was a hyperactive, chipper cat. Her fur beamed an unnatural saturated blue.

"It is 7:00 in the morning, Mizli," Voli bitterly responds. His fur was an equally saturated yellow, and he wore a shell-like helmet on his head that had the shape of an arrow. It was grey.

"We have to be there by 2:00! That only gives us..." She stops to add the numbers together, "about seven hours!"

"Mhm."

The two find themselves loading onto a packed train, each carrying two suitcases with Mizli stuck wondering if she should have packed a third. The crowded halls of the train mixed with the sounds of shouting, swearing, crying and screaming from little kittens made the experience significantly upsetting for Voli.

"Ugh, control your kids," he whispers to himself.

"We're almost at our cabin anyway, Voli! I'm sure it'll be quieter there." She attempts to cheer him up.

It wasn't.

Summertime in Felis saw the mass movement of many cats living on the outskirts packing up and visiting the kingdom's centre, also called The Inner Circle by the locals. The movement tended to cause havoc, and the stampede often saw the closing of many establishments and stores for the first two weeks for "consumer safety."

"Oh, I'm so excited! I can't wait to see Bora, and Lumina. Oh, and Aer! Voli, you hear that? We're gonna see them all again." Mizli couldn't sit still; her legs bounced as she tumbled over herself. Unluckily, she was sitting right beside Voli, who gently pushed her away whenever she got close to him.

"Can't wait. Now, please, I have a headache." Voli closes his eyes.

Mizli falls backwards on the rock-hard bed and stares at the bottom of the top bunk.

"You're no fun, y'know," she teases.

"And you're too much of it," Voli dryly responds without turning his head. Mizli snickers.

"I think this is going to be the best summer we've ever had," Mizli says cheerfully as she turns her gaze to Voli, "No?"

Voli opens his eyes but continues looking forward, "we'll see where the wind blows."

The train begins to move as the rest of the travel-hungry citizens pile in. The window revealed the moving outdoors; houses upon bigger houses run past and citizens looking up at the skybound train. The railroad system hovered over the city's streets using a skyrail network.

I love that building. Ooh, ooh, and that one! Is that the police station? It's too blurry! Mizli's thoughts fought themselves and nearly moved as fast as the train itself. Her excitement still had not yet reached its peak. Voli stares out a different window on the opposite side of the cabin. He threw his eyes far into the distance and trailed different bushes as they were whipped back behind the train. It stopped the blur.

The sky train rose higher as the buildings got taller and taller; this part of the city was double-deckered already, and the train introduced a third. Felis was an impossible sight for outsiders.

Only about 45 minutes go by, and the short city-wide trip comes close to an end. Mizli jumps up out of the cabin bed's top bunk and creates a soft thud when she hits the ground.