Will had finally figured out what Steve was to him - a familiar stranger. He wasn't sure if a term like that actually existed, but even if it didn't before, it does now.

Looking at him, he was all old in the colour of new, an old soul stuck in a body of a man who didn't mirror the age he was. A stranger on the outside, but it was the details that brought back the familiarity. For example, the sighing. Steve always sighed as if the weight of the world was on his shoulders again and again, pushing him down but the enhanced strength forced him to endure it.  

And the small splash of green in his eyes. Now, Will didn't think he'd ever really paid attention to anyone's eyes, but the contrast of green against blue just brought back the phantom smells of sugar cookies, moldy blankets and ash from old fireplace. 

He was still a bit sore from the wounds but he barely acknowledge them, it seemed to bother others more than it did him.

"Sam's doing okay, woke up a few days ago."

William scowled, he had secretly hoped for the second outcome but he supposed he should feel relieved that Steve's friend wasn't dead. It had been a few days since, and he realized they didn't much want to talk about it before.

After all, Will wanted to break the cycle, wanted to do better. And if it meant he shouldn't kill Sam - although he definitely deserved his wrath - then so be it. But the man better sleep with one eye open.

"In fact, do you think you'd want to meet him?"

Will halted his petting, his fingers freezing in Dog's dark fur who was in a deep slumber next to him. They were lounging in the living room, the midday sun casting a warm halo over half of the room.

"He told you, didn't he."

Steve looked startled, raising his eyebrows slightly and clearing his throat as to compose himself. He stuffed his hands into the large grey hoodie he was wearing, trying to burrow himself deeper into the soft couch. He looked tired.

"Somewhat, I was hoping you'd tell me more."

Will wished Bucky was there with them, he wasn't sure where the man was, but he supposed he had a life to live. Steve on the other hand, did not give him much room to breathe. It was as if he was always hovering somewhere, keeping him company, sitting with him in the silence, offering to order food and lounge in the living room and watch TV. Watching TV was sort of bothering Will, he could never tell what was realistic and what wasn't, he couldn't really tell what things were possible in this day and age and what wasn't.

"It isn't your business." He didn't say it in anger or annoyance but as a fact. Whatever Sam and his peers had done wasn't Steve's problem, so why should he involve himself?

Steve sighed again, throwing his legs off the armrest and straightening his back slightly as he seated himself comfortably, angling his body away from the TV and towards Will.

"But it is my business Will. Now that you are here with me, I want you to make it my business, too. You're not alone in this anymore, and I know it's not easy to trust me Will, but know that whatever secrets you hide, I'll be right here, no matter what." His shoulders were slightly hunched, his eyes telling nothing but truth as they stared at William.

"We are only related by blood now, our history is exactly that, history. You and I, we are on two different sides. You have always been good, and we both know that whatever I did even back then, was far from that."

He left somethings unsaid, like the fact that he didn't feel like a brother to Steve, he thought that Bucky might be a better brother to him than Will.