Chapter 1: A Step into my Life

In the entire world, there is just one thing that I can't seem understand, no matter how hard I try.

There are millions and millions of complicated concepts on earth—and there's just one concept that is so diverse that I can't begin comprehend it—people. I can't understand people.

My name is Cyrus. I'm a significantly special individual. But being a 'special individual' is not anything you might assume in the beginning of my long story.

When I started out with my significantly special individual life, school was the very bane of my existence. As I mentioned, I didn't understand people. That meant that I couldn't ever entirely begin to understand high school, the most diverse place you can ever be as a teenager.

I couldn't grasp the concept of social circles, friendships, or the whole of the teenage population. I understood classes and the rest of school just fine. But when it came to people, friends, sociality—I was fundamentally hopeless.

Everywhere I looked, there were cliques. No matter where I went, no matter what I did—they were there, plain as the sun in your eyes.

I was the sort of person that never bothered to sell my soul to a clique. I didn't want to belong to cult like that—and that's just what cliques look like to me—cults. Cults and cliques aren't exactly one in the same, but now you get my point. If you don't understand the point of a cult, then you probably don't understand cliques.

But cliques seem to be a problem for every basic geek. And if the same situation has ever happened to befall you, then you understand firsthand what it was like to be me in my sophomore year of high school.

A lot of people would've characterized me as 'boring' compared to everyone else. Someone had compared me to a rock before, but that wasn't the most accurate description of a human being. It wasn't very creative, either.

I preferred to sit around on a computer on the weekends and after school. I occupied myself with random activities around my house, trying to find different, creative ways to keep myself engaged while the rest of the world continued to spin outside of my house.

That just seemed normal to me. It was just the same kind of life that every other ignored teenager did. It wasn't like I was anything special. My emotions and my pass times were the same as anyone else's.

But sometimes that kind of life can get lonely, especially for people like me. And when you get lonely, your first instinct is to find a friend.

However, you cannot just go out in the world, talk to a stranger, and then count them as your friend, and that was just my problem.

How do people do that, anyway? How do you pluck a human being from an even bigger crowd of human beings, and then figure out whether or not that human being's personality compliments yours? How do you know if you like them? How do you know if they like you?

This was a perfect justification for why school was the bane of my existence. Everyone around me had a friend or group of friends with them all the time, and they were compatible.

On the other hand, having friends seemed like a depressing thought. Originally, I had thought that people made friends to escape the inevitable reality that we are all alone. Sometimes that was true, and other times it was not.

I constantly wondered if I was just missing a huge piece of the puzzle. I just didn't understand how people are considered compatible, and how you find people you are compatible with on a daily basis.

I'd seemingly figured out the way the world worked—like personalities, and the way life cycled. But I couldn't figure out the biggest part of the human life cycle—the Friend-Making-Process.