Chapter Thirty-Four: Last Ditch Effort

I leave Tabitha's office in a state of shock. My mind is swirling with possibilities. Should I be mad that Ben called? Happy. Why did he do it?

"How did it go?" Jameela asks. She's wearing a deep red color that I've seen her using to alter photos of Kate. It suits her, though I still think it's weird to alter photos of some actress you don't know to see if you like her better in another color of dress.

"Give us the skinny," Addison adds. She's going her braids up in an intricate pattern on her head, like something that might've been worn in Bridgerton. Was this how she and Jameela made up? It seems out of character for Addison, but then again, she has many hidden parts of her, just like everyone.

I glance back toward Tabitha's office. The door is close. "I think it went well."

"Why do you look like that, then?" Addison asks.

"Like what?"

"Like a scared chicken."

"Addison!" Jameela gives her a whack in the arm, but not a violent one. "We talked about this."

Addison shrugs with one shoulder. "Sorry."

"It's fine." I sigh. "It was just something that happened in the meeting with Addison."

"What?"

"Apparently Ben called her."

They exchange a guilty glance.

"You knew this?"

Jameela's face flushes. "He called me earlier wanting to get Tabitha's number."

"How did he get your number?"

"Google?"

I think about it. Jameela is the only person of that name working at the BookBox, and I'm not sure I ever told Ben Tabitha's name. But more likely, he wanted to suss out the situation first.

"What did you tell him?"

"Just when the best time to reach her was."

"You sure that's all?"

"What else would I tell him?"

"Yeah, I guess. But why?"

Jameela's confused. "What do you mean?"

"Why did you give him Tabitha's number?"

"Did he say something bad?"

"No."

"Then what's the problem?"

"I just don't need my ex meddling in my affairs."

She uses her arms to hug herself. "But it's so romantic."

"Is it? What if he'd made things worse?"

Jameela looks down at the floor. "I didn't think of that."

I try to smooth out my tone. This isn't Jameela's fault, and I don't want to be in another fight. I'm having trouble though. I feel angry, though I'm not even sure why or at who. "I know you meant well, Jameela, but I broke up with Ben for a reason."

"What's the reason?" Addison asks.

"Because I can't trust him."

She crosses her arms. "He cheated on you?"

"No."

"He lied to you?"

"I mean, a little ..."

"What about?"

"His sister knew about the contest. He could've found me."

"Why didn't he?"

"He wasn't ready."