Chapter 5

It's been a few moons since Aegon was born. She thought since she already raised Aegon once she would know how to handle him this time but she was wrong her son was hard to handle for her but unlike the last time she wasn't overwhelmed by him and didn't hand him to the nursemaids the first chance she got. It took her some time to understand what Aegon wants but this time she wasn't completely alone either she has Nyra who helped as much as she can and her son adores Nyra which became pretty apparent when his first words were "Nyra" (although he could not pronounce it properly) while he reached out to her.

Nyra and Aegon(or Aeg as she calls him) are inseparable now but it wasn't always like that it took some time for Nyra to get used to Aegon but she wanted to try for the sake of Alicent and as the first step in reconciliation she went to the dragon pit and bought an egg for her brother which she then placed in his crib. Alicent was very happy when Nyra bought the egg, in her last life Nyra choose the egg for all of her kids (She gave Aegon's egg to Viserys after he was born to give to him, when she was pregnant with Helaena she picked the dragon egg before going on the tour for her suitor and has instructed the dragon keepers to deliver it to her after Helaena was born and she chooses Aemond's and Daeron's egg even when they were not talking to each other anymore but Alicent thought Viserys choose the eggs for all the kids as Nyra made sure Alicent didn't know they were from her.) but this time she herself delivered the egg to her brother which means Alicent was slowly changing things.

It didn't take long after that for Nyra to become engrossed by her brother he was an adorable babe after all by the Aegon was 3 moons old Nyra became overly protective of her brother and whatever resentment she held towards her brother vanished she started spending all of her free time with Alicent and Aegon in his nursery helping Alicent take care of him and playing with him and it became very clear that Aegon favored Nyra more than Alicent sometimes. Nyra was handling Aegon way better than she ever did which made her a little jealous(but not surprised) but a large part of her was happy for the bond between Nyra and Aegon.

Aegon was also completely engrossed by his big sister if the way his little face lits up when he sees her is any indication. He prefers his mother and Nyra more than anyone else refusing to fall asleep if it's not one of them that puts him to sleep crying at the top of his lungs when a nursemaid tries to put him to sleep.

Alicent relationship with Nyra also improved a lot over the moons during the time they spent together with Aegon. They were as close as they were before maybe even more so now. The tension between them was also getting bigger, there were many times when Alicent just wanted lean in and kiss Rhaenyra but she can't do that, she also didn't miss the looks Nyra was giving her, she has a feeling that very soon Nyra will be more than just her friend and she can't wait for that day.

Sometimes if Alicent ignores everyone else it feels like Aegon is her and Nyra's child and they are raising him together. Even today they were in Aegon's nursery trying to get him to sleep but Aegon wants to play with his sister rather than sleep. "He is going to be one name day old in two moons" Nyra's words bought her out of her thoughts.

"I know the time has definitely flown pretty fast," Alicent said while looking at her son in Nyra's lap playing with the knight that gave Nyra him clearly fighting his sleep.

She took Aegon from Nyra "Ok Aeg it's time to sleep you can play with Nyra later." Aegon gave her a whine but rested his head on her shoulder and closed his eyes too exhausted to fight his mother this time. she ran her fingers through her hair coaxing him into sleep just like she used to do with Nyra(like brother, like sister) and soon enough he fell asleep on her after making sure he is not going to wake up she put him in his crib making sure he is comfortable before turning back to Nyra.

Nyra was watching her with a soft smile. "What," she asked the princess "Nothing," Nyra said before taking her hand and pulling her to sit next to her. Nyra rested her head on her shoulder. Alicent took Nyra's hand into her while resting her head on top of Nyra's head.