Chapter 59 Enter The City of Pleasure

Start from the beginning

     "What are you?" Ryan's voice was distant and echoed like voice was coming from a cave or tunnel. The creature seemed to consider his question with a tilt of its head. Then Ryan remembered the dream he had when he first met Lyse, where he met the god Zagreus, and both were attacked by . . . by this thing. The creature lifted its arm and somehow forced Ryan to hold up his own, the one with the faded ring identical to this creature.

      "What am I?" the voice it spoke with was not a voice but something that tried to imitate one. It was so cold, so inhuman and unadorned; it couldn't be anything else. "I am what they fear. I am the dark shadow of what came after me. The ancient sea that has never been but will be. I am you. I am the final word of the creation."

     "What?" Ryan looked about, but he still could not move. Finally, the creature lowered it's arm, allowing Ryan to fall as well. In fact, it mimicked most of what Ryan was doing. "This is a dream, it has to be."

     "Dreams," the creatures said. "The realm of dreams has no power here. This is a place out of time, a prison with bars that will only erode itself due to its own magnificence. And when I have been freed from it, we shall be one again, Ryan."

     "That sounds dandy," Ryan's nerves felt like they were in shock. "But that doesn't tell me who you are."

     The creature glanced to the horizon before returning its non-existent gaze towards Ryan and his tattoos. "The only reason we speak now is because of the prison's magnificence. I see that you will come to call upon my power as you used to. And the more you do, the more the prison erodes. The sooner I am freed. Power, use my power. Make us whole again."

"You speak in error and riddles," Ryan said. "What happens when we are . . . whole again? Are you some spirit that wishes control over my body? If so, I have no real reason to give you anything; leave me be, Demon.

     The creature took a step back, forcing Ryan to step back as well, almost like it was startled by his answer. It seemed to think for a moment before returning its attention. "It's too soon. Close, but not quite. Begone, for there, is much more to come. We will not be separate for much longer."

     The being flicked its hand, and Ryan felt an invisible force flung him away at high speeds, leaving the black pillars and the altar to shrink away into the distance as he was soon lulled back into unconsciousness.

(X)

     Lyse took a deep breath as he felt the shift of Avra ever so subtly. He was getting used to the strange man known as John of Nule's uncanny abilities. As he blinked, the skinny man with the wide-brimmed hat was sitting across from him from the fire. Lyse continued stirring the little bit of rabbit stew left in his pot.

     "I assume this is no visit of comfort, mage?" Lyse asked him readily.

     "Of course not," John said with the faintest hint of a smile. "It's a warning, in fact, from your mother."

      "Really?" Lyse asked, taking a spoonful of the reasonably bland mixture. "I suppose it must be quite urgent if she decides to send you. So tell me, what is it that my mother deemed imperative to relay to me, John?"

      "A certain goddess," he said. "Aphrodite Pandemos. You already fought her Areia counterpart, congratulations, by the way. However, Pandemos will not be dealt with so handily, I'm afraid."

      "Are you sure?" Lyse asked. "I was lead to believe that it was Areia who was the more combat-oriented aspect of the goddess of beauty."

     "And she is, but there is more to Pandemos; she is far more . . . cruel than Areia. Normal conventions will only lead to your death. Or worse . . ."