CH-38 The Council (Behind the scenes)

Start from the beginning

Hinata's POV

The representative of countries which held a boundary with the Jura forest wanted to let Tempest join. This was because they had been constantly tormented by monster attacks. But now, as the Demon Lord Rimuru declared that he had no intention to attack humans, the monsters that used to attack also decreased. Meanwhile, countries which were safe inland, were against it and afraid of the demon lord and his power. After a lot of bickering, major countries and its supporters decided to support the admission of Tempest in the Council.

Well, this is fine by me I guess.

"Then let's go with this. We will invite that demon lord. If he decides to join the council, then he must obviously bring gifts and know his position." Johann said.
"But what if the demon lord got angry and put all of his power on us?"
"You don't need to worry about that. What we need to worry about is that how much we have to gain them. We all know about the movement of the Eastern Empire, right? Tempest can act as a shield for us in case they attack."

"The Eastern Empire?"

Hmm? I really pity the representatives of the smaller countries. They have no information regarding what is going on. Of course, King Gazel and kings of countries bordering Eastern Empire know about it. I am sure Rimuru knows about it as well. I mean, in that technological presentation, he just said that he was not involved, but there is no way he was not. Only an otherworlder like us would question the basic principle of magic. He is needling King Gazel to keep his mouth shut regarding the movement of Eastern Empire. Just how far he is he thinking? He really is amazing, isn't he?

The meeting continued as they started discussing on how to deal with this predicament.

"Calm down Everyone. Now that Farmus has fallen, we of course cannot create a united defensive line amongst the smaller nation. But we all know why the Empire isn't attacking. It is of course due to the evil dragon. So I  believe that we should let Tempest become a member and use it as a defense line against the Eastern Empire."

Clearly Johann and Gaban are trying to make everyone vote for allowing Tempest to join. What an elaborate script. Atleast this is coming to an end now. I am so tired. It has atleast been 8 hours since the meeting started. This is the most unproductive meeting of my life. Finally, the voting has started.

"Alright. According to the votes, we will officially send an invitation to Kingdom of Tempest to join the Council." The chairman said.

Finally the meeting is over. As everyone begins to leave, I do so as well. Just as I was about to leave I was interrupted.

"Hinata, could I have a moment of your time?"

I turn around and see that it is Prince Elrick. Who are you to call me directly by my name?

"Yes? What is it?" I want to avoid angering him for now.
"Well, Hinata, I want to ask for a favor." We continued to talk as we made our way to a reception room.
"And that is?"
"You see, I was thinking of testing the Demon Lord in the next meeting. We need to make sure that this Dmeon Lord will live up to his name. That is where you come in."
"And how do I come in?" I asked with some irritation in my voice.
"? " He looks shocked. What? You expected me to be cooperative with you against Rimuru? Not happening at all.

"W-well. Let me explain. The person in question is a demon lord. So if he decides to go on a rampage, then it could be troublesome. So, I wanted you to provide security duties for us."

"Why?"

"Why? Because I know you are a strong woman and the right hand of God Luminous. It is also believed that you were able to force the demon lord to enter negotiations with Ruberios. I am sure with your strength we can reveal his true nature."

Are you serious? Just how arrogant are you? You might be a prince, but still. I had heard that he believed that no woman can resist his charm, but is he an idiot? Atleast be someone like him if you want to do something. A picture of blue haired man came to mind but I quickly dismissed it.

"I don't think that's a good idea. If we were to fight now, I doubt I will even be able to hold my ground for a few minutes."

I never even fought him in the first place. Now that I think about it, does he not know about demon primordials serving him or is he just an idiot?

"Oh, come on now Hinata. Just because you are in front of me, doesn't mean that you have to act lik meek, gentle woman."

Huh? What is he saying? Just as I was contemplating on how to answer this idiot, one of his bodyguards stepped in. I think his name was Reiner.

"Non, now. Lady Hinata, I understand that you are smitten by Prince Elrick but everything will be fine even if only I am around. But with you, we can have that extra muscle power to guarentee safety."

I don't even want to hear the rest.

"I am sorry, but I will have to decline. Also as a piece of advice, I hope you do not do anything to aggravate the Rimuru. The Western Holy Church is in a non-aggression pact with Tempest." I say so and leave.

"Pardon me?..."
"Oi, are you ordering me around?"

I could hear then shout behind my back but I paid them no heed. But I really am glad. If they had sent this request through official channels then I might not have been able to decline.

"Are you saying you are okay if a demon lord rampages in the council?"
"Does the Western Holy Church not care if a demon lord takes over and rules over humanity?"

The other guards also started chiming in. This gladdens me a bit, though. They have been ruled by a demon lord for nearly centuries now and they dont even know.

"Unfortunately for you, Rimuru, enjoys my full trust."

They really wouldn't try to rile him up would they? He might be calm and cool, but I know he is ruthless to his enemies. If they want to fight against Rimuru, they would only need another demon lord. I hope the cooler heads amongst them prevails. I will warn Rimuru none the less. I hope he understands and doesn't go too overboard.

---------------------
That's it. Like and follow. I hope you enjoyed.